The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How tall will my baby be? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-tall-will-my-baby-5129/)

ilovemydun 01-06-2008 11:47 PM

How tall will my baby be?

I wasn't quite sure where else to put this...this seemed good enough :D

Anyways, I have a 19 month old qh filly and I was wondering if anyone would know how tall she would get!? She is 14.1 1/2 right now. Her previous owner got her from an auction and we don't really know who her parents were. We think maybe in the mid 15hh?

What do you think?

Cheval 01-06-2008 11:56 PM

So she's almost two?
How tall were her parents?

ilovemydun 01-07-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheval
How tall were her parents?

Yep, 2 in june. I have no idea who her parents are or how tall they were. Her previous owner got her from an auction

free_sprtd 01-07-2008 01:03 AM

while we are in this subject....are there any old wives tales to predict how tall your baby will be? just for fun.

Thunder will be 2 in April and is only 14 hh now, but then again he is a mustang. I think yours will prob be a pretty decent size...your prediction seems about right, but then again, I don't know much hehe

Jojo 01-07-2008 12:44 PM

You can do the string test. Take a string and hold it up to the top of the front leg. Then take that measurement and move it up so the bottom is at the top of the leg and the top of the measurement you just took is where the horses' whithers will be when they are full grown. At least I think that's how it works.

buckaroo2010 01-07-2008 01:02 PM

i would say she may end up finishing up in the 15hh's area is she is 14 hands now and almost 2 shes going to be pretty big

ilovemydun 01-07-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo
You can do the string test. Take a string and hold it up to the top of the front leg. Then take that measurement and move it up so the bottom is at the top of the leg and the top of the measurement you just took is where the horses' whithers will be when they are full grown. At least I think that's how it works.

thanks jojo, i'll have to try that out :)

free_sprtd 01-07-2008 05:41 PM

neat...ill try it!

reiningfan 01-07-2008 05:43 PM

I always do the string test. Only one of my adult horses has been off with it. I hold the string to the point of the horse's elbow, run it down to the fetlock, about where the ergot it. Then keep it at the elbow and take the bottom back up over the withers. It's worked for me.

jazzyrider 01-08-2008 05:33 AM

another trick for figuring out adult height is if you know what height they were when they were born. horse are 60% of adult height when born