The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How many times a week do you RIDE your horse(s)? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-many-times-week-do-you-51314/)

Jillyann 03-30-2010 08:30 PM

How many times a week do you RIDE your horse(s)?

I am just curious as to how many times a week people actually tack up and RIDE there horses. And why that much/little.

I ride Candy about once a week. At least. I work a 'part time' job, about 25-30 hours a week. I only have 1 MAYBE 2 days a week off. So for me, its Kinda hard to get out to the barn as much as i'd like. And sometimes when I go out to the barn, I only 'play' with Candy.. meaning I just walk her around, and let her eat some grass, or free loung her, take tons of pictures, ect. But dont actaully tack up and RIDE.

What about you??...:lol:

equiniphile 03-30-2010 08:47 PM

Depends on the weather and time of year. In summer I ride every day and come over to my mom's from my dad's to ride on the days I'm not at my mom's with the horses. This time of year, winter, and fall I ride about every other day. I'm working on conditioning Arthur for the fair so I took him for a nice gallop today:)

gypsygirl 03-30-2010 08:51 PM

i try to ride gypsy about 2-5 times a week =] it depends on how busy work and school are !

Delfina 03-30-2010 09:02 PM

My horse is pretty green and in training. I ride her 2x per week while supervised, weather permitting. My sister-in-law who's training her rides her 2x per week weather permitting and does ground work on another day.

Our schedule isn't set in stone, so there are days I go out to ride her and end up doing ground work instead or I go out to watch my sister-in-law do ground work and I end up riding. It all just depends on what's going on with her at the time.

For the most part though, someone rides her at least 4x per week. She LOVES being ridden and can con my sister-in-law into "extra" rides though!

BarrelracingArabian 03-30-2010 11:30 PM

i usually try and ride atleast 2-3 days a week for atleast 2 hours each time. During the summer though i usually ride alot more then that

twh 03-30-2010 11:49 PM

When I had an indoor ring available, I rode my horse pretty much every day. But now it all depends on the weather.

IslandWave 03-30-2010 11:57 PM

I ride my horse 5 days a week, year-round.
She does best with two days off during the week. One of the rides is a lesson and I try to let at least one or two more be our fun rides where we go bareback or do a conditioning ride on the hills/racetrack. Sometimes I don't have the time, but I try to come by on one of her days off and groom/hand graze/love on her.

Gillian 03-31-2010 12:19 AM

At least three days a week, but I try for every other day. :]

DustyDiamond 03-31-2010 12:56 AM

I really try to ride everyday but it is hard to do what with all the other stuff u have to do

Wallaby 03-31-2010 01:06 AM

I go visit Lacey about 3-4 times a week. I generally really ride maybe once and then I usually hop on her bareback every time, depending on how I'm looking time-wise. I go visit her during school (I have big 2 hour long breaks in between classes) so I have to keep that in mind.
Usually, on the days I don't really ride, I do a bit of free lunging/lunging with her and I take pictures and I spend a lot of time grooming her. On the days I ride, it depends on if I'm visiting her during school or if I decided to come after, I generally lunge her for ten minutes to get the blood flowing and then I hop on.

During the summer, she's coming to camp with me, I'll be riding her everyday. I can't wait!