The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I'm looking for a comfortable all-purpose saddle for trail riding... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/im-looking-comfortable-all-purpose-saddle-51353/)

CloudsMystique 03-31-2010 03:52 AM

I'm looking for a comfortable all-purpose saddle for trail riding...

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Gidji 03-31-2010 04:20 AM

Have you considered a real Australian stock saddle? Just note the emphasis on the real part lol. Don't get one with a horn, cause thats not a real one.

MyBoyPuck 03-31-2010 06:22 PM

I love my cheap, synthetic, Thorowgood saddle for trail riding. It's an english saddle, but the synthetic material makes it nice and sticky. Very deep seat and I can get it wet without worrying about it.

rocky pony 04-03-2010 11:33 PM

I don't know of a good comfortable A/P but I have an extremely comfortable dressage saddle, a Wintec Isabell. Definitely one of the most comfortable saddles I've ever ridden in...and since it's synthetic it could easily stand up to mud, water, and dirt from the trail. Every now and then you can find one used for a great deal..I found mine for $400 in pretty nice condition, only some minor wear.

And I think it's worth noting, if you're at all interested in a western saddle, the absolute most comfortable saddle this butt has ever met (and it's met plenty of fancy expensive trail saddles) is an Abetta Brushpopper, only $406-453 (depending on seat size) at Abetta Brushpopper Trail Saddle. This saddle is INCREDIBLE. It's basically an Abetta Pathfinder but with a cloud for a seat. It has a HUGE layer of memory foam over the entire seat and it feels like heaven. Once you sit in this saddle, you will honestly never want to leave, hahaha
It also has nice padded trail stirrups for even more comfort.
And since it's cordura it's very lightweight and safe to get it wet.
I adore it.
They also make a really similar saddle in an endurance style without a horn. http://www.buytack.com/products/saddles/act/20554.htm

Good luck!

CloudsMystique 04-05-2010 09:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! rocky pony - I ride Western, but my mom would really prefer to ride English, so I'm looking for one for her. Thanks again : ]

iridehorses 04-05-2010 09:53 AM

A good Dressage saddle may work well but the Australian saddle idea is an excellent one.

nirvana 04-05-2010 10:14 AM

Me and my friend LOVE our wintec all purpose saddles. They are super comfy (I have spent hours in mine). And they are realy resonably priced too.

kitten_Val 04-05-2010 07:40 PM

I use A/P Collegiate Dignitary for trail riding. It's really deep even for the the A/P saddle, but also can be used for light jumping. If you need a saddle ONLY for the trails, dressage could be even better idea. As for stock saddle - it's great but (in my area) hard to find a good one (I never order saddles on Internet).

QHDragon 04-06-2010 03:50 AM

I use a wintec AP for my everything saddle including trail riding. I like not having to worry about getting it wet or dirty. Dressage saddles are a great idea too, the longer length flap can be more comfortable on longer rides and the deeper seat will keep her secure just in case.

wild_spot 04-06-2010 03:52 AM

I've been trail riding in my Wintec 500 AP since I was 10. I'm now 20 :] It never failed me.

I also second a good, quality stock saddle but that will run you upwards of $1,000.