The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What Makes You Better? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-makes-you-better-51399/)

stormyweather101 03-31-2010 05:47 PM

What Makes You Better?

So, I go to a small but professional barn near my area. Alot of the girls there (all womens barn) are just snobs. Alot of them think they are "better" riders because they have fancy clothes and horses. But some in particular have no experience in real riding what so ever, and have everything handed to them. My question is what makes these people these ways in your opinion?

And not related to this at all... I am looking for a 16-16 1/2 inch english saddle. Anyone who has one for sale please contact me(:

My Beau 03-31-2010 05:56 PM

teenage "know it all" syndrome, which is highly contagious...

at least, i hope they're teenaged since they're acting like that.

Speed Racer 03-31-2010 06:02 PM

Meh, some people have more money than talent, and think that's all it takes.

Yes, being a teen may be part of it, but you find some adults that act the same way.

If the horse didn't cost six figures, the tack isn't top of the line, and the trainer isn't the latest fad, then they think you're beneath their notice.

Stuff like that doesn't bother me anymore. It used to when I was a lot younger, but not now. I just ride my inexpensive horses in my synthetic tack, and have a grand old time.

There are always going to be over entitled, snobby people. If you let them bring you down, shame on you. No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

foreignmusic 03-31-2010 08:23 PM

Insecurity. Fear of failing when making an honest effort, have given up the honest effort part (too risky, in their minds)and just accepted and honed their smokescreening method. Easier, less chance of failure to make one's self look good by demeaning others. Yeah, I see it and write it off as insecurity.

kitten_Val 03-31-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormyweather101 (Post 591612)
So, I go to a small but professional barn near my area. Alot of the girls there (all womens barn) are just snobs. Alot of them think they are "better" riders because they have fancy clothes and horses. But some in particular have no experience in real riding what so ever, and have everything handed to them. My question is what makes these people these ways in your opinion?

It's actually very interesting question. I noticed it too from time to time. I think it depends on age a lot. :D But also may be depends on how you put yourself. I took lessons in jumper/hunter barn, where horses are $$$$$. My horse is little qh without professional training and I don't have $5K Antares or Butet. However people were nice. The point is I do NOT care at all what snobs think about me or my horse. She's MINE and it's not anyone's concern that she's short or stocky (unless I put her up for critique and such). Ha-ha! Take it or leave it.

MyBoyPuck 03-31-2010 10:49 PM

It comes in all ages and income levels. You just have to see it as the individual's short comings and walk the other way. Hopefully you have people at your barn who are friendly and enjoy and appreciate their horses to make up for the snobs. When I'm with my horse, people's negative attitudes have very little effect on me anyway.

Rule of Reason 04-01-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormyweather101 (Post 591612)

And not related to this at all... I am looking for a 16-16 1/2 inch english saddle. Anyone who has one for sale please contact me(:

What is "real riding"?

Sounds to me like you might think you're better than that.

Void 04-01-2010 07:52 PM

^ This

I feel like on both sides of the aisle there is entitlement and snobbery.

"Oh I don't have money, but I know how to ride for real, which makes me better"

"I can afford the best: trainers, horses, equipment, which makes me the best"

I mean I grew up with nothing and worked hard for everything I have, and because I got a job, made money and started buying nice, quality things that makes me a "snob" at my barn (to some kids anyways)? Really? I mean my horse cost me nothing and I put all the work on him myself but because I show and have a 4k saddle that makes me better then everyone?

In my opinion I'm only better then you if I beat you in a class, and even that is subjective. Other then that I have no clue whether or not I am better then anyone else. Nor do I necessarily care.

I mean Brianne Goutal would beat my butt at equitation any day of the week, because she can afford the best. Doesn't mean she doesn't know how to "really ride" I bet she can ride the snot out of my horse.

eventerdrew 04-01-2010 08:02 PM

I know one of these people. Mommy and Daddy bought her and UBER expensive horse. And now she's winning everything because she can afford the trainer, the barn, the trailer, the competitions every weekend and blah blah blah.

I think what make someone a better rider is NOT riding the made horses. Riding horses through their problems and riding tons of different horses. Sure, riding made horses is great and you can work on your position and stuff, but I think it's better to actually work for it in the long run.

ptvintage 04-01-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rule of Reason (Post 592496)
What is "real riding"?

Sounds to me like you might think you're better than that.

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like you're the one comparing yourself to them. They might not even think about you or your riding...or they could be thinking "That person looks nice, I'd like to get to know her, it could be fun to hear her thoughts on riding".

Although I'm sure if they knew your real thoughts, they wouldn't be throwing out a welcome mat to you.

Maybe you should look at your behavior before saying they are the snobby ones.