The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   ? About Riding Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/about-riding-boots-51404/)

Tyler 03-31-2010 07:07 PM

? About Riding Boots

I know I'm not supposed to ride in tennis shoes (and I don't), but I don't have any real riding boots. The closest thing I have to riding boots are vietnam jungle boots. Are these okay for riding?

MyBoyPuck 03-31-2010 07:29 PM

As long as they have a heel, they should be okay. The reason sneakers are dangerous are because your foot can easily slip through the stirrup and get caught since there's no heel to stop it.

Tyler 03-31-2010 07:36 PM

Based on the picture, did the heel look big enough?

whiskeynoo 03-31-2010 07:44 PM

i'd say the heel was plenty big, now thats riding in style haha :)

MIEventer 03-31-2010 07:47 PM

Are you riding English or Western?

The boots are fine, but they might be too thick/clunky to get into the iron or stirrup.

If you ride English, I suggest picking up a pair of half chaps to protect your legs from the leathers. If Western, don't worry about it - the leathers are thick enough to not effect your legs at all.

rocky pony 03-31-2010 07:55 PM

I've always read it's best to avoid really "chunky" bottoms like that..but I don't remember why..ah, has anyone else heard that?

Tyler 03-31-2010 08:00 PM

I ride western (when I ride with a saddle, that is). =) Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

Allison Finch 03-31-2010 08:02 PM

You avoid "chunky" soles that have lugs. If you fall, the lugs will keep the foot from sliding out of the stirrups. the stirrups hang up on the rough bottoms. This increases your chances of being dragged. Find some sort of slick bottom shoe.

Delfina 03-31-2010 08:02 PM

I personally wouldn't wear them.

See how there is a heel, a smooth portion and then there are bars going across? If your foot goes forward in the stirrup or iron and you fall off, the stirrup/iron is going to get stuck on those bars and you'll get dragged.

The heel of the boot is to keep your entire foot from going through the stirrup/iron. Those bars across the front are going to keep your foot from falling out when you fall.

MIEventer 03-31-2010 08:09 PM

Good point about the treads on those partiular boots. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any riding boot, that includes all the Ariat and Mountain Horse Endurance/Terrain boots -that have treads like that.