The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Forum Rules and Announcements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-forum-rules-announcements/)
-   -   Horse Forum Contests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-forum-rules-announcements/horse-forum-contests-51524/)

Mike_Admin 04-02-2010 08:20 AM

Horse Forum Contests

Hi everyone,

While there have been great user-run contests here for some time, there have also been requests for official Horse Forum contests. We are excited to announce that members can now enter the monthly Horse Forum photo contest.

You should see a blurb on the right hand side of the home page inviting you to submit a photo for this month's contest. Submissions will be accepted up until the 16th of each month, at which time voting will begin. The blurb will show you the number of days you have left to submit a photo and the number of days you have left to vote once voting begins.

The winner will be determined at the end of the month by counting the number of votes each photo receives. A thumbnail of the winning photo will be displayed in the blurb on the right hand side of the home page and will provide a link to view a larger version of the winning photo as well as the other submissions and the number of votes each received.

Our first contest will be general, but in future months the contest may be for certain types of pictures.

On behalf of the Horse Forum Team, we hope that you enjoy the official Horse Forum Contest!

Mike :-)

*** Added on June 2, 2014 ***

"Users can only submit picture(s) that you have taken yourself or a picture of a Horse you own or lease."

Pinto Pony 04-16-2010 04:53 PM

Just wanted to double check, but the "vote" buttons aren't too clear once you start to scroll down as to which image you are voting for. It is the button above the image right? Maybe put something between to clarify which button goes to which image? Also is there a link to see a tally once you have voted or do we have to wait for the results?

Mike_Admin 04-16-2010 06:01 PM

Hi Pinto Pony,

Thanks for pointing this out. You're right that the vote button corresponds to the image below it. We'll add something to make it clearer which button is associated with which image soon.

As for seeing the results, currently you have to wait until the contest ends, but this could be changed in future contests.

LoveStory10 04-17-2010 01:10 AM

This is a great idea! And I'm glad you cant vote for your own photo lol! (believe me, I tried haha).

But when I tried to vote for the one I liked, I clicked the button, but nothing happened. I just wanna ask if that's what its meant to do, or if it just diddnt work?

Sorry just a bit confused :)

Mike_Admin 04-17-2010 07:25 AM

Hi LoveStory10,

When you click the button it should reload the page and let you know that your vote was received. It didn't do anything at all when you clicked the button? Would you mind trying again?

Thanks!

Jake and Dai 04-17-2010 07:46 AM

I like this but lordy was it hard to choose just one from all the great entries!

iridehorses 04-17-2010 07:56 AM

Mike, how about having a page with a thumbnail of all the entries that we can click on to enlarge it if we need to? It's pretty difficult to scroll through the pictures then remember where the one you wanted to vote for was.

Mike_Admin 04-17-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 607521)
I like this but lordy was it hard to choose just one from all the great entries!

I know, there were so many great entries that it was hard to decide which one to vote for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 607523)
Mike, how about having a page with a thumbnail of all the entries that we can click on to enlarge it if we need to? It's pretty difficult to scroll through the pictures then remember where the one you wanted to vote for was.

Great idea, Bill. That should make browsing through the entries easier. Members now see thumbnails on the contest voting page that become full size images when they mouse over them. Entries are separated by a horizontal rule to make it easier to determine which button is associated with each image. :-)

iridehorses 04-17-2010 09:05 AM

Mike, once you've voted, how do you get back to the pictures just to admire them?

Mike_Admin 04-17-2010 10:15 AM

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately it wasn't designed to facilitate viewing the submissions again after voting and it isn't a trivial change to make. I'll try to have it ready by next month's contest.