The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Food for a yearling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/food-yearling-51606/)

TheRoughrider21 04-03-2010 08:22 AM

Food for a yearling?

I just purchased a new filly that will be 1 in a month. Does she need grain and if so, what kind? I'm expecting to have to feed her grain but I just wanna know if she needs something more than sweet feed or if sweet feed would be bad for her. Thanks!

Vidaloco 04-03-2010 08:36 AM

They make feeds for the life of a horse. I fed mine Strategy by Purina plus free choice hay. That's what they, and their moms, still eat.
Check different brands of your choice. Most will have a feed similar to that.
I'm not a great lover of sweet feed, I prefer less sugar. Strategy is a pelleted complete feed.

shesinthebarn 04-03-2010 09:01 AM

We feed our yearlings a yearling ration by masterfeeds. They also get Purina Equilizer as a top dress (200g) to provide salt and other minerals. I think the thing you want to look for in a yearling ration is proper balance of protien and fat along with proper calcium to phospherous ratio. There is a link between improper protien and fat balance and orthopedic issues such as bone chips. Try to find a feed that derives most of its calories from fiber as this is the most useful and easily digestible energy source for your horse. Our ration has 19% fiber. If most calories come from starch, skip that feed and move on.
Good quality forage is the most important thing. Good hay and good grazing will build up a horse to meet their genetic potential.
I would suggest you go to a good feed store that carries a variety of brands and ask a lot of questions. a good feed store will have someone with a good understanding of equine nutrition to help you make your decision. Do your research too, feed companies usually have good websites to help with consumer education.
Good luck!!

TheRoughrider21 04-03-2010 12:56 PM

Thanks you both! I went to the feed store and bought Nutrena Mare&Foal feed...does that sound good for her?

shesinthebarn 04-03-2010 02:06 PM

I went to the Nutrina website and had a look. It looks to be an OK choice. I couldn't find a list of ingredients though, so I'm not sure if this is a high-glycemic feed or not. Is it pelleted, textured or multi-particle? I would still provide some kind of a ration ballancer as a to[p dress to ensure proper salt intake. I like to do that as opposed to salt and mineral blocks - this way you are sure the horse is getting the salt etc. they need.
Just for kicks and to learn a little more, maybe go and visit a few other feed company web sites to learn a little more. Purina has some good charts and articles as does Masterfeeds.

TheRoughrider21 04-03-2010 04:05 PM

Here are the ingredients
Grain Products, Plant Protien Products,Processed Grain By-Products, Roughage Products, Forage products, Molasses Products, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, L-Lysine, DL-Methlonine, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Managense Methionine Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Mangaous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Ethylenediamine, Dihydriodide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate,...etc lots of long words that say dehydrated at the end.
If she weighs 500lbs, how much would Lb feed per 100 bodyweight be at a ratio of .75-1.50? How mush should I feed her? Im confused on the wording.

Peggysue 04-05-2010 03:04 PM

I wold not feed that feed because you have no way of knowing what you are really feeding...