The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   By The Time he grows up he'll be bald (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/time-he-grows-up-hell-bald-51607/)

Bakkir 04-03-2010 09:26 AM

By The Time he grows up he'll be bald

Bakkir is my first horse of a breed where hair is a good thing. Everyone wants a long flowing mane/tail/forelock on their arabs. My problem is he keeps getting chunks of mane ripped or bitten off.

It happens when I braid him to prevent the wind knots. Twice now he has severed entire braids. And I have already had to cut burrs from his forelock.

What if anything can be done to prevent this? I may not leave his braids in again.

I am used to appaloosas - lol! I never cared about it before!

draftrider 04-03-2010 11:50 AM

Maybe get a mane tamer hood.

I would look and see what he is getting caught on. Do you have loose nails, barbed wire, any other hazard he might be getting caught on? Look for areas in his pasture that might be catching the braids.

riccil0ve 04-03-2010 05:44 PM

I think you'll have much keeping better luck combing his mane after a windy day then losing braids. Some horses just don't keep them. You can get a detangler, like Show Sheen or something for people that's cheap, and that will help make it easier when you comb it.

Also, a good number of horses will eat the manes and tails off other horses. Is he kept with a buddy?

Bakkir 04-03-2010 05:50 PM

Yes hes in a herd. The bitchy appy mare and evil pony sidekick left today so hopefully there will be less damage done to my horse. Two older types moved in so my guy should have less stress from the herd. Hopefully !

Bakkir 04-03-2010 05:52 PM

I sprayed him with cowboy magic and just brushed everything. I do groom him daily so hopefully it doesn't get tangled. There is an old wood pile in the paddock that he loves climbing and chewing on. Or the braids could have been bitten off by the evils mares - lol!

roro 04-03-2010 06:51 PM

I'd say ditch the braids.

mom2pride 04-03-2010 11:17 PM

If he's tearing the braids out, then you may not want to leave those in...just conditioning, and keeping it detangled, you should be able to keep it healthy and long...make sure you periodically trim dead,split, burnt ends off though, as that can contribute to tangling, as the dead coat is softer and tangles easier.

Bakkir 04-04-2010 05:42 PM

Haven't thnought of trimmingthe ends. That might help a bit. He's one of those horses that just has a huge amounts of really course thick hair