The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Making her tail silky! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/making-her-tail-silky-51616/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-03-2010 11:52 AM

Making her tail silky!

Ok so I've used Canter Mane & Tail (and LOVE it!) but I'm looking for something a little cheaper...I have tried using Infusium 23 (yes, for people hehe!) and it works nicely but not as well as Canter Mane & Tail! So I'm looking for other things that I can spray into my mare's tail to make it soft and silky...what do YOU use?! :D

MaggiStar 04-03-2010 12:03 PM

baby oil rubbed in is amazing also we use mister sheen(the house polish) awesome for everthing yard related i read somewhere there is something like to much silicone in it or something that its kinda damaging for there tail

Sunny 04-03-2010 12:11 PM

You HAVE to find some Pink Spray. It's for African American people, and it works absolutely amazing on manes and tails! You can get a huge can of it for a dollar at the dollar stores! :]
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 04-03-2010 04:39 PM

I use Show Sheen. I've never found anything better. =]

wild_spot 04-03-2010 06:12 PM

I shampoo really thoroughly with shampoo - doesn't really matter what one. Then I saturate the tail with conditioner - I use v05 human stuff. Then I rinse it completely.

Then my secret weapon - Hi-shine Hot Oil! This stuff is awesome and it smells like almonds. I dilute it with water in a spray bottle and spray it completely through the tail as it dries. Makes for a mirror shiny, tangle free tail!
Posted via Mobile Device

~*~anebel~*~ 04-04-2010 01:40 PM

I wash my horse's tail quite frequently and use any kind of clear leave in conditioner/detangler. Silverado, Cowboy Magic and Vetrolin all make one. My horse has a black tail so I don't use any white stuff in it - I find it makes it dull. I also wash his tail with a blue tinted shampoo.
I wash it, spin it around to get the excess moisture off, work in a bunch of conditioner/detangler and then let it air dry. I never brush his tail, I pick through it strand by strand to get the tangles out. In the summer I usually bag it to keep it out of the sun. You can see his lovely locks in my DP. That's almost a year ago so it's a little thicker now.

Wallaby 04-04-2010 01:49 PM

What has done wonders for Lacey's tail is just keeping it braided and Cowboy Magic detangler-ed. I had previously used Show Sheen on it quite extensively and while that worked to keep it tangle free, it kinda made her tail tough and brittle feeling (her tail normally feels and looks like human hair in the weirdest way possible).
And then, over the winter I wanted to get her tail even and pretty so I started braiding it and using enough cowboy magic that the inside of the braid still smells like it when I take the braid out (once every two weeks or so). I also washed it about once a month. And now, her tail is AMAZING. It is SO soft, it doesn't tangle when I let it out of the braid to work her for a few hours, and it's very shiny (for a white tail).

I'm really excited for the summer when I can show it off. Heeheehee

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-04-2010 02:48 PM

great tips thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

Honeysuga 04-04-2010 03:32 PM

Anything for ethnic hair will work great on a horses coarse tail hair. Look in te hair section at your local dept store ad I guarantee there will be ethnic hair products in their own category. I have used the hot oil treatments before on my palomino and they made her tail very soft and tangle free for quite a while. I have also used the relaxer for tails that tend to dredd up really bad, it relaxes the hair without damaging it and keeps the hair straight even after you braid it. You know it is gentle too because ethnic hair tends to be rather finicky and britle(according to my friends who are indeed black)

They also have shine products and such.

Rowzy 04-04-2010 03:39 PM

I love cowboy magic detangle and shine. Its fairly inexpensive and it leaves the tail all shiny. I think it is essentially liquid silk (I looked on the bottle once) and there is a similiar albiet way more expensive product for humans too.