The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   He is not enjoying his tail brushing.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/he-not-enjoying-his-tail-brushing-51622/)

Citrus 04-03-2010 02:54 PM

He is not enjoying his tail brushing....

I was brushing Citrus' tail yesterday with his new tail tamer brush (seems like it just skims over the hair as it is just like a soft body brush). He kept turning around to see what I was doing. This did not make sense to me until last night when I was reading about horses blind spot- apparently it includes the tail area.... makes sense, because he always has to look at me when I walk in back of him to the other side- wonder if he thinks I am magically disappearing and reappearing....

riccil0ve 04-03-2010 05:38 PM

Then quit standing behind him and stand off to the side. o_O

Honeysuga 04-03-2010 09:04 PM

No, he isn't wondering, he is looking for you because he doesn't know if you are just brushing his tail or if you have a huge hulking chainsaw ready to chop his butt off.

MN Tigerstripes 04-03-2010 09:57 PM

This is why you walk right next to the horse's butt when you walk behind them. Personally I keep a hand on them the entire way around. Then they know where I am and if they do get startled aren't as likely to kick knowing I'm right there. If by chance they do kick, I'm close enough to get pushed (hard, yes) but not nailed by a flying hoof.

And yes, if you are brushing his tail stand to one side.

Then again he might be wondering if you have a giant chainsaw hidden somewhere...

mom2pride 04-03-2010 11:13 PM

You may need to desensitize him to you being back there, by holding the lead rope, with his head tilted toward you, and keep touching his tail and butt area till he stops turning and trying to get away from you.