The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Anyone ever go to college for a horse career? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/anyone-ever-go-college-horse-career-5164/)

Thoreau 01-08-2008 08:08 AM

Anyone ever go to college for a horse career?

I'm looking at Findlay in Ohio, and Virginia Intermont, Virginia.

My dream is to own my own lesson stable one day, but I want to have a horsey job in between my college years and my dream "life".

Does anyone think not being able to own my own horse will hinder me? Should I try to purchase a horse? I know they say it isn't required, but a friend of mine went to Cazinovia, and she had to purchase a horse, because she couldn't get time to get on the horse they assigned, because well, she had to share it with three other students...

mell 01-08-2008 08:52 PM

i was thinking of going to marcus oldham in VIC, australia. my parents dont want me to though, they say the horse industry is to hard to make money in!!! but if i have another job to fall back on if things dont go to plan? hmm i dont know, i've still got 2 yrs of school to go yet!!

now back to your problem, you could lease a horse???

Delregans Way 01-10-2008 04:06 AM

Mell my eldest daughter is also interested in going to Marcus Oldham College, to get a Diploma in Horse managment and buisness. Although to get into it, you have to be pretty good, they only chose 30 students out of a whole australia, and they also accept forigners. I went for a training day down there...this is going back 12 years, and the farcilities even then are just amazing!

Your parents are half right about not making good money, thats false in some ways, i know pple who ride horses, doing what they love and get 80k a year. You just have to know the right pple, and know how to get a job...

mell 01-10-2008 04:56 AM

yeh, a guy that works there came to my school to talk about the course, i think he said something about taking only 30 people. this year two students from my school were studying there but i think it was just the ag course not the horse one.
there are other horse college's but marcus oldham seemed to be better then the others.
im still not sure what i want to do though:)