The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Flatwork Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/flatwork-critique-51650/)

horsegirlmaddy 04-03-2010 10:24 PM

Flatwork Critique

OK, this is Concept and me. I leased Concept for a couple months a year ago, but she was too much horse for me then. Now, we've both had a year of further training and I wanted to start leasing her again. Although I've only been riding for 2 years, I feel much more ready to give Concept a try. I've ridden her twice since I leased her last summer, and this is my third ride on her and first lesson at the stables she's at right now. Next week, I get to jump her a little bit in the lesson, so I'm excited!

Overall, I like how we work together, but there are, of course, things to improve on. Especially in this video, I think I lean a bit too far forward when I ride. Also, I know I look to the outside a lot of the time; this is because there are mirrors on the walls, and I want to see what I look like! She also pulls on the reins sometimes, and I'm wondering why she does this and how I can fix it.

Don't worry about being harsh (although don't be overly mean please!), I would really like to know what I can work on, and what you think of Concept.

Klassic Superstar 04-03-2010 10:36 PM

I think you look darn good for only two years! you buys look like a good match to me. I would say maybe relaxe your bodey more? Like in your armsna d shoulders, and heels down more but you have a good straight back, so when you reaxe your arms and breathe through them more and realxe your shoulders you will be able to sit deeper in the saddle.

Besides that you guys look just great to me.

ohmyitschelle 04-03-2010 10:44 PM

A lot of the problems in your position can be stemmed from two things - one, you're sitting too far back in the saddle and two, you're not sitting correctly. Rather than sitting on your bottom (which is called a chair position), you need to roll onto your pelvis and bring your leg underneath yourself. You're perching because you're lower body isn't able to support you correctly.
I think if you sat more deeply in your seat, rolled onto your pelvis, than riding in a chair position, a lot of things will start to fix themselves and you'll be able to feel so much better in the saddle!
I like your wee mare too :)

Hope this helps somewhat!

Red 04-03-2010 10:45 PM

I thought you looked rlly good. You look a little stiff, but other than that you guys look like you work rlly well together.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsegirlmaddy 04-03-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle (Post 594700)
A lot of the problems in your position can be stemmed from two things - one, you're sitting too far back in the saddle and two, you're not sitting correctly. Rather than sitting on your bottom (which is called a chair position), you need to roll onto your pelvis and bring your leg underneath yourself. You're perching because you're lower body isn't able to support you correctly.
I think if you sat more deeply in your seat, rolled onto your pelvis, than riding in a chair position, a lot of things will start to fix themselves and you'll be able to feel so much better in the saddle!
I like your wee mare too :)

Hope this helps somewhat!

This is very good advice from everyone!

I have noticed that I sit on my bum a lot (it's quite cusiony, very comfy lol!) but I've never been able to figure out how to fix it without my legs shooting forwards. Any suggestions on how exactly I can roll my pelvis forward?

I think the reason I sit too far back in the saddle is because the saddle is just a little too small for me. It's not a very comfy saddle for me (it's Concept's owner's, and she's quite small) so I think I'll look around and see if I can find a nice saddle that fits Concept, is big enough for my large butt, and maybe doesn't squeak like this one? haha that'd be great

horsegirlmaddy 04-03-2010 11:00 PM

I'm in the process of uploading more videos of my lesson to Youtube; I look much more relaxed in the other ones, but I put this particular clip up because of the three times I did the pattern, I got the best quality canters in this one!

horsegirlmaddy 04-03-2010 11:37 PM

This pattern is not as good as the first one I posted, but there are certain elements of it that I like.

ohmyitschelle 04-03-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsegirlmaddy (Post 594715)
This is very good advice from everyone!

I have noticed that I sit on my bum a lot (it's quite cusiony, very comfy lol!) but I've never been able to figure out how to fix it without my legs shooting forwards. Any suggestions on how exactly I can roll my pelvis forward?

I think the reason I sit too far back in the saddle is because the saddle is just a little too small for me. It's not a very comfy saddle for me (it's Concept's owner's, and she's quite small) so I think I'll look around and see if I can find a nice saddle that fits Concept, is big enough for my large butt, and maybe doesn't squeak like this one? haha that'd be great

I know the feeling about small saddles, I'm a bigger rider who has more cushion in my booty than needed :lol: You've gotta work with what you've got, but you're right, the saddle is on the small side for you.
Try this exercise... its what I use to help people I teach to ride... sit in a dining chair or (computer chair), sit on it like you normally do (but try not to slouch)... now sit up tall and proud, and roll onto your pelvis so it feels like you're pushing your butt out lol, you'll feel a bit silly, believe me.
Now relax back into the chair, and repeat it a few times so you become aware of your pelvis. Rather than sitting on your bottom, you want to sit on the front of your pelvis (you know what I'm aiming here, but I'm trying to not say it loll)... When you're doing the exercise, be aware of where your legs are. It's easier to roll onto your pelvis if your legs are more underneath the chair, correct? Well its the same in the saddle. So if you can over exaggerate in the saddle, so sit up tall, roll onto the front of your core and feel your legs go back (I'm not saying kick them backwards so then you have no support, but they should feel more underneath you then out in front like they are), then that's what you're aiming for!

It won't change immediately, but you WILL feel a difference (and maybe some aches after the first time :wink:) and with time it'll feel more comfortable to ride correctly, it just takes practice :D
Good luck!

EDIT: second vid is not currently working?

MyBoyPuck 04-04-2010 06:41 PM

I'm wondering if the saddle just doesn't fit you in terms of balance. Your legs seem to be pitched forward and you look like you're posting a little behind the motion which suggests the saddle isn't balanced right. Are there other saddles you could try just to see if you feel a difference in your balance?

As for the arms, she's pulling in part because your upper body is a little stiff and she's not feeling consistent soft contact. Try focusing on your arms, making sure they're relaxed and your elbows are relaxed at your sides. Make sure to follow her mouth so you don't hit her with the bit every stride. Take up the slack and really focus on soft, inviting contact. It's an elusive thing, but when you find the right supple contact, you'll feel it instantly and she'll feel like butter. It's fantastic.

Overall you look good.

horsegirlmaddy 04-05-2010 06:25 PM

I rode Concept again today, in that same dang saddle. It is now clear to me that the saddle does not fit either of us- While cantering, it slipped to the side completely, and I flew off the other side. I will definitely be getting a new saddle for her before I ride her again; a little romp around in an ill-fitting saddle is not worth the pain of falling off.