The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   growing tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/growing-tail-51728/)

BarrelracingArabian 04-04-2010 07:28 PM

growing tail

ok so since the people who previously had fury didnt care for her well she managed to get her tail magorly matted to the point of no return and so its short right now any idea on how to get it to grow faster

aneternalflame 04-05-2010 01:49 AM

We use tail socks on our show horses. Bing's tail, when out of his tail sock, drags a few feet on the ground. I couldn't tell you how to put one on, I am awful at it and need someone at the barn to tell me how every time I do it. Mind you, we don't use the commercial ones, so it's more complicated. In terms of care in a tail sock, take it out and unbraid it at least once a week. Brush it thoroughly, get any knots etc out. Condition it with detangler, and put it back in. As for growth, on the tailbone you can use MTG. Side note, MTG also stopped my mare from rubbing her tail.

gizpeptig 04-05-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aneternalflame (Post 595677)
We use tail socks on our show horses. Bing's tail, when out of his tail sock, drags a few feet on the ground. I couldn't tell you how to put one on, I am awful at it and need someone at the barn to tell me how every time I do it. Mind you, we don't use the commercial ones, so it's more complicated. In terms of care in a tail sock, take it out and unbraid it at least once a week. Brush it thoroughly, get any knots etc out. Condition it with detangler, and put it back in. As for growth, on the tailbone you can use MTG. Side note, MTG also stopped my mare from rubbing her tail.

Yes! MTG works wonders :D

BarrelracingArabian 04-05-2010 10:09 PM

Alright ill look into that