The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Chain Shanks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/chain-shanks-51743/)

My Beau 04-04-2010 09:54 PM

Chain Shanks

How do you run the chain through the halter for in-hand classes? My yearling will be going out to small shows starting in May, we've been practicing with a chain every now and then. But I'm just using the "over the nose" method and sometimes the halter shifts too much... Which way keeps the halter from shifting most?

sandsarita 04-04-2010 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For showmanship, the most accepted way is in on the left side, under the chin, out on the right, and up to snap. Here are a couple of pics that illustrate, one from each side. Also, make sure that the halter fits properly and snugly. If it's too loose, it will shift no matter how the chain is run. (The second has some colored lines that shows where the halter would go if it fit properly) Hope this helps.

GottaRide 04-05-2010 10:02 AM

It is important to go under the chin, rather than over the nose, and to clip your snap to the top ring on the off side. Most important is to practice with the chain before you get to a show.

My Beau 04-05-2010 11:30 AM

Thanks, the pictures are what I needed. But she's showing in a 2 & under conformation class at a hunter show, do you know if the chain is used the same way as it is in the above western photos?

Sorry for the questions, I'm totally out of my element with this stuff...

rodeogirl309 04-05-2010 02:41 PM

At a hunt show? You use a bridle for Hunt showmanship/halter.

My Beau 04-05-2010 03:23 PM

But she's only a yearling... no bridles yet.

PBritton2U 04-05-2010 03:46 PM

Yearlings are bridled, too. I know that seems odd, but that's the norm.

IMG_0049 Falling Moon Cabaret pictures from horses photos on webshots

If your horse hasn't been taught to go in a bridle, use a plain leather halter that fits well and run the chain as shown.

Pamela Britton-Baer

My Beau 04-05-2010 05:00 PM

For the bigger shows... but ours is just a small local show. It's her first time off the farm since her GOV inspection last August. We're not going for ribbons or points, just a good experience. The prizelist calls for Under 2 to be shown in halters, 2 year olds in a halter or bridle, 3 and up in bridles.

I already have her leather halter she will be showing in... just needed to see how the chain should be put on since I've never shown inhand at hunter shows, only USDF and FEH.

AQHA13 04-05-2010 05:59 PM

I was always taught to thread the chain through the halter and clip it back down by the lead. As long as your horse behaves, this is a way of doing it without the chain being next to your horse's face.

My Beau 04-05-2010 07:23 PM

Haha, "if my horse behaves"... that IS the question, AQHA.
I can only hope that she is not a complete bundle of nerves on her first show day :) But the chain might be needed, she's just now 11 months old and she's HUGE. Almost as tall as her 15.2 hand mom and her dad is 17 hands... She's gonna be a big one!