The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   clay , gravel ,or concrete for stahls (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/clay-gravel-concrete-stahls-51745/)

ididasku 04-04-2010 09:57 PM

clay , gravel ,or concrete for stahls

im trying to dry up the stahl erea , its temperary for the next year or so , Its muddy outside, and inside is damp . so i dug out the wet erea inside and need to fill it in, is gravel bad on their hoofs [there will be alot of straw ] and does concrete hurt their legs and hoofs [with straw on the concrete] or just dig it out over and over . and I do have a height problem or will if i put it high enought to run the water out . the outside is flat and nowhere to drain basicly the barn is in the wrong spot . :cry:

White Foot 04-04-2010 10:02 PM

I would never put concrete down unless you were to put rubber mats over it. I would invest in rubber mats, they last a lifetime and make stall cleaning so much easier.

kevinshorses 04-04-2010 10:06 PM

Gravel on the bottom and sand on top then put the straw or shavings down.

ididasku 04-04-2010 10:19 PM

im going to get mats soon but mud and anything is bad,im also worried about mold

foreignmusic 04-05-2010 08:06 AM

Clay, with stonedust on top, then your mats. If no mats, clay. Concrete can be the Kiss of Death, frankly. Too slippery, too unforgiving under feet, even with bedding, and way to rigid for good solid layed-out sleep. Hate concrete, hate mats even more. Jmo, of course : )

halflinger 04-05-2010 08:11 AM

i am building new stables and was thinking off putting concrete floors in as i will be using only one of three stables for horse,others will be used for storage and winter fuel store.with enough bedding horses feet shouldnt get sore?

foreignmusic 04-05-2010 08:36 AM

Not so much that their feet will get sore, just generally leg achey, and not ALL horses. A lot will depend on how much time the horse spends in his stall and how hard he works while out of it. People that stand or walk on concrete floors all day long have tired/achey backs often. Not ALL, of course, but it is common enough to take flooring materials into consideration.

The thing for me with concrete as well as mats, is that too much bedding and the horse can't stand flat-footed as easily. Not enough and the horse comes up with hock sores and front fetlock burns from laying down/getting up, or they don't lay down at all... Fine line there : ). And then there is the mucking out factour. Too soft or too hard, the happy medium is in between there somehwere, regardless of what you choose for your floors.

Where you have a drainage problem, gravel is always good for a base beneath any types of surface material with mats, or not.

ididasku 04-05-2010 10:05 AM

my concrete floor

what my concrete consists of , first replace wett dirt with 4in gravel ,then apply 2in thick by 8in wide by 16in long concrete block. then tighten it up with sand . I did the walkway from gate to barn last fall , it layed in water and mud and held up with them walking and standing on it .

Its hard yet it can move a little , the gravel keeps the mud or dirt from coming thru, its similar to paverstones for driveways

StormyBlues 04-07-2010 08:21 PM

I would invest(if you have the money right now) in Equitare. It is gravel, with an alomst egg crate looking thing ontop, with fine gravel on that. You bed with shavings and NEVER have foot or drainage problems, they NEVER have to be redone, they never get craters in them from pawing horses, they never get dips from getting to soggy like clay. They are HEAVEN!

ididasku 04-08-2010 10:28 AM

thanks for all the imput .i hope i can get my barn built by winter ,thanks again