The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   HELP! Abcess on hoof area (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/help-abcess-hoof-area-51758/)

Gidget 04-04-2010 11:37 PM

HELP! Abcess on hoof area

we just got a new horse and I was grooming her today and noticed(under some dirt that I scraped off) that there is a squisy abcess and is warm to the touch. I rinsed it off and I did the most idiotic thing..I went to cut it open to drain it and I forgot to sterilize!!!! She was in pain but I got some pus and blood out and it seemed to be draining. I also gave her some bute.

We are calling the vet tomorrow so we can get it checked out cause it looks pretty bad since I washed it. It smells and she twitches and limps. The owner said that she had a cut and she was fine so i took her word for it and I so I was groominh her and took a look at it and it's a lump.

Will she be forever lame cause of this?

mountaindweller 04-05-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 595643)
we just got a new horse and I was grooming her today and noticed(under some dirt that I scraped off) that there is a squisy abcess and is warm to the touch. I rinsed it off and I did the most idiotic thing..I went to cut it open to drain it and I forgot to sterilize!!!! She was in pain but I got some pus and blood out and it seemed to be draining. I also gave her some bute.

We are calling the vet tomorrow so we can get it checked out cause it looks pretty bad since I washed it. It smells and she twitches and limps. The owner said that she had a cut and she was fine so i took her word for it and I so I was groominh her and took a look at it and it's a lump.

Will she be forever lame cause of this?

You are doing the right thing to get your vet to the horse.

Many years ago I had a horse that I had turned out for a couple of months. When I brought her back in she was limping on the front foot. Just above the hoof line I discovered what I thought was an abscess. When I turned her hoof up the puss was also weeping from the underside. I could wash the injury with a syringe from the top and flush it right through the bottom of the hoof.

My vet gave her plenty of antibiotics but I had to syringe the wound every day (with a solution supplied by the vet) for about six months. Within about twelve months she was OK to ride and she lived go on cattle roundups for many years.

I hope your horse's injury is not as serious and you are riding her very soon.