The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bit of a surprise... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bit-surprise-51760/)

alexischristina 04-05-2010 12:56 AM

Bit of a surprise...

So, currently we've got three horses on our property. One is mine, two are 'free leases' (the owner cant afford to feed them both, one is a VERY well-trained perfect 'show pony' the other is a brood mare pony, "bomb proof" etc. Basically, we're holding the broodmare until they want to breed or have the money to take them back).

Well, I went out and decided to ride the broodmare, she's typically my sisters, but I wanted to try her out. She's little, like... 12 hh little, but I'm a fairly balanced rider, and I was bareback, so it was all good.

Surprise one: nobody bothered to tell me, but apparently she's gaited. :lol:
It was nice... but I was kinda confused, gave her a bit of a kick to get her to do something I recognized and BAM! off we went. Apparently she had no trouble carrying me, and it was a nice little gallop, so no problems there.

BUT THEN we hear a crash and my gelding (who I'd just put in the barn) books it down into the field, I go check and he kicked the door off the barn.

Somebody is a bit jealous, apparently, and needs to learn his 'stay in your darn stall' manners.
I didn't punish him, he was very... rowdy, it was almost dark and there were legs everywhere, but I plan on getting on his manners tomorrow, HARD.

White Foot 04-05-2010 07:57 AM

Well if they can't afford them I really don't think they should take her back just to breed 0_0

Gunther did the same thing. When he went to training they tied him in his stall for a few minutes everyday and boy did it teach him to stand quiet and still!

mattanittaallen 04-05-2010 09:54 AM

made me smile to read that. I can picture that in my head. (seen it before!) LOL.

alexischristina 04-05-2010 04:10 PM

The only reason they can't afford them right now is because of storm damages to their property. They breed for a living (not backyard breeders), so once they've gotten reestablished and all the damages fixed is when they would consider taking her back.
I didn't exactly make that clear though. =P

Thanks though, I'll try that... once we reattach the door.

My2Geldings 04-05-2010 04:52 PM

Hope he didn't hurt himself :shock: sounds like a neat riding experience with the mare. Never liked the gaited beauties(never ridden one either, bad me to judge without knowing). Sounds like it was a fun ride though.

alexischristina 04-05-2010 05:52 PM

It was! I was very... startled, but it's the most fun I've had in awhile, honestly.

And no he didn't hurt himself, he looked fine yesterday and I checked him over today, he's good.