The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   wrong lead in tha back (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/wrong-lead-tha-back-51809/)

barnprincess 04-05-2010 03:04 PM

wrong lead in tha back

I noticed when i was lunging Luna today she was on the correct lead in the front, but she'd keep swapping out her hind leads... and she'd get pissed and buck... any ideas on what this is or how to fix it?? walk trot shes pretty solid finally. this is our last speed bump =/

JustDressageIt 04-05-2010 03:12 PM

First off, is she sore anywhere? Whenever someone tells me that their horse is swapping leads in back and bucking, I automatically think that the horse is exhibiting signs of pain. It's hard work to cross-fire like that, much harder than just cantering on the correct lead all around. First thing that comes to mind is out in the lumbar spine, out in the pelvis, or even looking at OCD (HalfPass just went through this same thing.)
It may be a training issue, but it might be something physical; I would strongly suggest you get a vet out to make sure she isn't sore, and triple check your saddle fit. Once you've cleared those two potential problems/causes, then I'm more than happy to give training advice.

barnprincess 04-05-2010 03:14 PM

shes got a fitted saddle. i'll try to video it tomorrow its hard bc when she switches her head flings up and i dont want to drop my camera . shes had a canter issue since i've had her but shes never been in consistant work for longer than 5 days in a row so maybe it could be a weakness?? when i ride her , as soon as i ask her to canter her head goes up and she crow hops... once i kick her foward she'll smooth out but its hit or miss, sometimes she does that and others shes fine/ thats why i was like omg please dont be hock problems... shes only 8 http://209.85.48.11/3094/128/emo/pinch.gif

edit

i poked and put pressure with my fingers like massage like but pressure pressure all over her body she didn't flinch once.

she supposidley had a stiff stifle problem but shes not sore on it anywhere

JustDressageIt 04-05-2010 03:18 PM

If it's been going on since you've owned her/been working with her, I strongly urge you to get a vet out. It isn't normal behavior, and is often an indicator of soreness. My first instinct says that she's sore.
HalfPass posted a video of her horse cantering on the lunge a few weeks ago, and the first thing I noticed was the horse crossfiring in the back and bucking. I mentioned this to her, and she had a vet out. I believe the mare (very sweet mare at that) had her OCD surgery less than a week later. I believe HP's mare is quite young as well, but she's expected to recover nearly 100%.

barnprincess 04-05-2010 03:22 PM

well she does it both directions. the stifle they told me gets stiff is her left hind. i hardly ride her but now springs here so i lunged her and popped on her today. She dosent always do this so thats why when i thought she was acting up that maybe her stifle was stiff so we just did tons of trotting. Do you think she should see the chiro or the vet? my vet dosen't do any chiropractic stuff lol hes a track vet maybe he would know, he knows his tbs =] lol.

JustDressageIt 04-05-2010 03:25 PM

It could be her stifle. From what I remember about HP's video, her mare did it both directions as well, and she didn't do it 100% of the time, just enough for me to notice a pattern.
I strongly suggest getting a vet out first, then follow his instructions regarding diagnostics or chiro work. There are some injuries that you don't want a chiro to work on, especially without a vet diagnosis.

barnprincess 04-05-2010 03:34 PM

juuuust hung up with my vet. he said she may need some acupuncture? lol

eventerdrew 04-05-2010 03:53 PM

My horse does the same thing on her right lead. No soreness anywhere, just keeps doing it. My vet said it was a hindquarters/stifle strength issue. Lots of hillwork and hacks were his recommendation

barnprincess 04-05-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

My vet said it was a hindquarters/stifle strength issue

OOO i wonder then.. because the old owner did tell me she had some stifle soreness when comming out of not being worked..

riccil0ve 04-05-2010 04:03 PM

My mare does this going to the right, because she is so unbalanced and weak on her inside right hind that she can't use it properly to get herself moving. It's just easier for her to use her stronger left hind. I spent a good two months on her trot, with no cantering, really getting her to balance and carry herself better. When I picked up the canter again, she didn't have a single hitch in her right lead. However, if the work isn't maintained, she picks it back up. If I can't ride her consistently, her canter goes to hell again.