The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   My Friend wants Crtique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-friend-wants-crtique-51813/)

Phantomcolt18 04-05-2010 03:40 PM

My Friend wants Crtique

This is my friend riding in her jumping lesson. I forget the horse's breed but i knows he's about 17hh tall. She wants to find out how she's doing and in this video the last jump at the oxer the horse took the long spot and she wasnt ready for it...but in this lesson they worked with oxers, roll-backs, and normal schooling. In her words she says "Be Brutal":wink: so you have her permission to rip her riding apart haha.

kmacdougall 04-05-2010 04:15 PM

I'm not very good at this but I'll give it a go!
1 - unsteady leg. I like my jumpers, and this is most likely a jumper lesson, to have a nice steady leg, especially in the lower levels where riders can't really compensate quickly for their mistakes as the 1.2M + and GP riders can, having a good base of support under you is a great skill to have.
2 - her arms look stiff and at some points it seems like her elbows are "flapping". At times she seems to "fling" the horse over the fence - he's a good boy. He knows his job. A release is sufficient, she doesn't need to throw his face away.
3 - the last jump was actually a BAD landing - she was behind the motion and it looked for a second to me like she was going to come off.
4 - at times it seems like she has no seat - she's just bouncing around up there. Lower leg and relaxing her back will help with this.
5 - PERSONAL OPINION is that I never jump a jump with a ground line on the landing side. It was drilled into my head in pony club, accidents happen, and ground lines are for approaches, not landings.

I used to (and at times still do) have many of these problems. Practice and FLATWORK FLATWORK FLATWORK will correct them. The jumps are only 1/20th of the class, the dressage you ride between them is the other 19/20ths.
Other then that cute little horsie, nice look to him, and your friend for the most part looks good on him. :)

Phantomcolt18 04-05-2010 04:21 PM

Yeah she definately knows about the last jump haha i believe he took it long and a bit higher than what she was ready for. She's coming over tomorrow to check out the critques she gets. Thanks for your help.

drafteventer 04-05-2010 04:35 PM

Im going to give this a go, somebody more experienced tell me if I'm wrong!

First off I think she needs to shorten her stirrup a couple of holes, I'm pretty sure they're too long which is preventing her from really folding into jumping position. She also needs to move her stirrup closer to her toe. She throws herself forward over the jump instead of waiting for her horses jump to help her into jumping position. This may be because she is compensating for her stirrups preventing her to really get out of the saddle easily. I would try shortening my stirrups and working over crossrails and doing lots a flatwork for a while to really get my position secure. I couldn't tell if she was jumping a whole course but this indoor looks a bit small for a horse this size. Thats my two cents, but I am by no means an expert or a trainer. I would ask her instructor/trainer or an experienced rider for help. :)

I used to do this alot except my problem was my stirrups being too short.

Phantomcolt18 04-05-2010 05:57 PM

no they werent doing a full course it was just a normal jump and an oxer in the indoor during this lesson. I have mentioned her stirrups before because this is a lesson saddle but she never re-adjusts the stirrups before she gets on she uses the length that the rider before her used.

maura 04-06-2010 09:12 AM

I love the school horse in this vid - dead honest, cute jumper and still has a little energy to him. I would want him in my barn. *Wonderful* horse to learn on.

Mostly agree with the other posters. Your friend has a lot of potential as a rider. She seems brave and athletic, but she needs to solidify her basics before she goes further with her riding. First is the lower leg. Perhaps a shorter stirrup, but then, lots of work in two point and without stirrups to get it rock solid underneath her. Positioning the foot in the stirrup correctly as drafteventer suggests will help as well.

Second, she either needs to learn the following seat at the canter OR stay in a two point. The most distracting part of the video was her attempt to sit the canter in the turns. I'm sure she felt the need to sit up and balance in the tight space as the horse has a little "go" to him; but a three point seat rather than a full seat would work better until she learns a following seat.

Once her leg is solid she can polish her position in the air and work on letting the horse close her angles while her upper body stays still. Gymnastics are a huge help with this. Jumping through a long grid and attempting to do as little as possible and *feeling* the horse's jump close your angles is invaluable.

I disagree with some of the other posters about the release. While it's perfectly fine/non abusive for this level and this size fence, a rider at this level should be practicing moving her hands forward and digging her knuckles into the neck as the horse takes off and picking the contact back up on landing. Her hands stay in the same place and just take a little support from the neck in the air - again, not restricting him at this height, but she needs to practice a real release for when the fences go up.

Unlocking her elbow and allowing her hand and arm to release will also help her leave her upper body still. Right now it looks as if her torso and shoulder is trying to do the work of the hand and arm.

EventersBabe 04-06-2010 09:42 AM

I love that horse. :)
I wouldn't ride him because 17 hh is to tall for me lol but yea anyways, I agree with the above posters.
Her release does look good.. But with her stirrups I would shorten them.. I also noticed that her heel didnt look exactly like it was down...
But anyways I am not very good at this :)
Tell your friend good job and keep it up

Phantomcolt18 04-07-2010 11:28 AM

my friend said thanks for the critique she is going to use your pointers in her lesson on thursday. She also said she had no idea about her stirrups (bull lol cause I told her about them before but I guess hearing about it from a few others made her change her mind haha) she literally wrote everything down and is going to show them to her trainer so he can help her fix it all.

JustLeaveIt2Mya 04-07-2010 06:50 PM

At some points it looks like the horse is cross fired...

Phantomcolt18 04-07-2010 09:40 PM

what's cross fired?