The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Her forelock.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/her-forelock-51821/)

Pro 04-05-2010 05:45 PM

Her forelock....

2 Attachment(s)
What do you do with a thick puffy forelock like this for a showmanship show?

Her mane will be in a diamond Braid, because I'm not cutting any mane, forelock, or tail. And I really don't want to thin anything either - but I will probably end up having to unless I get some other ideas...

pictures:

AQHA13 04-05-2010 05:51 PM

Do you want to braid it? If so, maybe you could dampen it and then start out with a french braid. When you run out hair to do a french braid just continue with a normal braid.. Sorry, only idea I have :D

Arksly 04-05-2010 06:11 PM

Braiding it would probably be the best idea... Like AQHA13 said you could wet it. I would suggest not to pull the mane forelock or tail because the horses do bleed... There was a grey mare at the one barn I was at and there was always blood on her neck after the owner pulled her mane.

travlingypsy 04-05-2010 06:30 PM

^^ At the barn I was at almost every boarder pulled their horses manes and I never saw blood. How was she pulling the mane?

Ridehorses99 04-06-2010 12:10 PM

My horse's forelock is super thick and I band it in 3 places for all shows. I start at the top closest to his bridle path and go down about and inch towards his nose and band that section. Then I take the next inch and add it to the first part and band those together. Then I take the rest and band all of it, making sure the 3 bands are equi-distance apart. I then use hairspray or hair gel to keep it from looking like a plume.

Dartanion 04-06-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arksly (Post 596341)
There was a grey mare at the one barn I was at and there was always blood on her neck after the owner pulled her mane.

Wow I have to same experience as travlingypsy, how is the mares owner pulling the mane? I've also never seen blood before. That's a trippy thought.:shock:

PBritton2U 04-06-2010 03:52 PM

Banding the Forelock

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Wow I have to same experience as travlingypsy, how is the mares owner pulling the mane? I've also never seen blood before. That's a trippy thought.:shock:

I've actually seen it before. :cry: But it only happens when people pull out big clumps of hair. If you're causing a horse to bleed, you need to back WAY off the amount of hair you're pulling. :?

Re: banding the forelock, I do the same thing as the other poster. I band a section right at the top of the forelock, then grab more hair from about an inch below that, then take a final section of hair an inch below that. I DO NOT band the whole thing...my horse looks like a dork with his forelock banded at the very end. :wink:

This is the best picture I could find that shows what it is we're talking about. Sorry it's not a close up.

Pam

Pro 04-06-2010 09:09 PM

^^Great response. I will try that. Thanks^^

BarrelRacer95 01-22-2012 12:05 AM

I would either braid it or just put it in a single ponytail. Just water it down som or put show sheen on it.

waresbear 01-22-2012 12:09 AM

She needs a barrette.