The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   And so it begins in MO (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/so-begins-mo-51822/)

Honeysuga 04-05-2010 04:47 PM

And so it begins in MO

Got my first letter tday asking that I oppose the reopening of horse slaughter plants in MO:evil::

Taresa Windham It is vital that MISSOURIANS now do two things:
1) CONTACT YOUR STATE REPS
Find your Reps' email address & contact info: Representative Directory
- Ask how they voted on H.B. 1747, the bill to legalize horse slaughter in MO.

- Tell them if they voted in favor of it, they just lost your vote at election polls.

2) CONTACT YOUR STATE SENATORS
Find your Senators' email address & contact info: Welcome to the Missouri Senate
- Describe your disapproval of the House passage of H.B. 1747, to legalize horse slaughter in MO.

- Explain why the Senate should NOT pass a similar bill, using some of the talking points below.

- Tell them that their YES or NO vote on legalized horse slaughter will effect your future voting decisions.

There is no auto-letter for this. A personal constituent approach is vital
to keep this bill from passage in the Senate.

================================================== ===========
TALKING POINTS - MODIFY & PERSONALIZE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
Sign with name and full address; if not you'll be ignored.
================================================== ===========

-- I'm dismayed by the recent passage of Rep. Jim Viebrock's bill to
sidestep federal rules that bar horse slaughter for human consumption. As
your constituent, I'd like to know how you voted (or plan to vote) on
legalizing horse slaughter in Missouri. Your stance on H.B. 1747, or any
Senate companion bill, will influence my vote at election polls.

-- I ask my Senators to oppose any bill with language that mirrors H.B. 1747
and lets horse processors operate in Missouri.

-- Eyes around the nation are focusing on Missouri -- to see if it will
revive horse slaughter on American soil. As you know, this is not a Missouri
issue alone. No equine kill plants have legally operated in the U.S. since
those in Texas and Illinois were shut down in 2007. The matter of killing
American horses affects concerned citizens everywhere.

While supporters insist slaughter "saves" horses from neglect and
starvation, their argument fails to recognize:

-- "Americans oppose horse slaughter by an overwhelming margin," says Glen
Bolger, national pollster and founding partner of the nonpartisan Public
Opinion Strategies (POS). In a 2007 poll, POS found that 71% want horses
preserved as part of American cultural heritage. Nearly half are less likely
to vote for a Congressperson who is against a horse slaughter ban.

-- Equine plants are known polluters that congest sewers and contaminate
land and water.

-- Rather than advocate slaughter as an alternative to neglect, lawmakers
should enforce criminal prosecution. In Missouri Anti-Cruelty Statues,
animal abandonment is a crime punishable by fines and jail time.

-- Slaughter is NOT humane euthanasia. Methods to stun and kill cows and
pigs are excruciating when used on horses. Nonetheless, these excitable,
long-necked animals are subject to captive bolt pistols that often don't
render them insensible. Some remain aware while killed.

-- Focus should shift from slaughter to breeding oversight and responsible
care. Overpopulation stems from industries such as Premarin and Prempro (HRT
drugs made from mare urine); carriage horses; riding stables, etc. that
over-breed horses. Moreover, there is no documented link between closure of
domestic plants and a spike in horse abuse cases. In contrast, slaughter
supplies a "dumping ground" for irresponsible breeders and caretakers.

-- Missouri wants to impose a U.S. market for horsemeat on a nation that
doesn't want it. The Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act, H.R. 503/S.B. 727,
currently before Congress, bans possession, shipment, transport, purchase,
sale, delivery or receipt of any horse for the purpose of human ingestion.

-- Please do not support legalized horse slaughter in Missouri.

>>>YOUR FULL NAME
>>>ADRESS, CITY, STATE
>>>COUNTRY

ACTION CAMPAIGNS * EDUCATION * ANIMAL DISASTER AID
http://www.KinshipCircle.org * Kinship Circle Disaster Aid Network

FOR BREAKING NEWS & ACTION: subscribe@ kinshipcircle.org
* Action campaigns on animal cruelty issues worldwide
* Animal rescue coordination/news in disasters

UNSUBSCRIBE
* Select a Kinship Circle ALERT received in your mailbox
* Hit "FORWARD" + Send to: info@ kinshipcircle.org

And of course I replied:
"This is bull**** is what it is. The horse industry is so stagnant without horse slaughter plants being open. It is naive and ill thought out to ask that they stay closed. If you want to help the horses support the plants reopening and leave it alone. The last thing we need are our over populated prisons overflowing with animal abusers and our tax dollars paying for it, when the plants would alleviate the strain on the horse industry and provide much needed jobs, actually stimulating the economy."

Arrgh!

My Beau 04-05-2010 05:09 PM

I thought the "talking points" were snippets you added and I'm sitting here reading like ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Then I read your reply and realized I should dye my hair blonde.
Kudos to you!!

kmacdougall 04-05-2010 07:22 PM

When the plants closed there were a lot of horses shipped up here to Canada. I actually got an issue of a horse magazine that was like "Look at how wonderful this is for the kill plants in Canada! Woohoo!"

.. we Canadians are an interesting bunch haha.
That letter is going to get a lot of bleeding hearts though who think every horse who doesn't go to slaughter gets to live a happy life in a big green pasture!

PaintsPwn 04-05-2010 08:09 PM

Hmmmmmm, I should write a letter to my rep to bring more plants here to Indiana. There are so many laid off people that would love to work right now. It's a hell of a lot more humane that MEHEEKO!

Honeysuga 04-06-2010 03:11 AM

I know paintspwn, I was thinking the same thing, I should have replied that and really thrown him into a tizzy.

mattanittaallen 04-06-2010 10:16 AM

Wow, I'm impressed to see something that I didn't think existed on here and that was a well thought out response to something a little, hairy. I'm a horse lover and I don't want to see the creatures suffer anymore than anyone else on this forum. Case in point, every horse that doesn't get slaughtered really doesn't live happily ever after and that is something that lots of folks don't understand. It's not a job I would want though.

Alwaysbehind 04-06-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 596319)

-- Equine plants are known polluters that congest sewers and contaminate
land and water.

This talking point really has me scratching my head.

Some how slaughtering equines causes more issues to ground water and sewers than any other slaughter facility?

I have to assume that the municipality already has regulations regarding FOG (fat, oil and grease) going into the sewer system so I really miss how a slaughter plant can cause more issues than the local fast food joint.

Big time eye roll. Gotta love the scare tactics.

Honeysuga 04-06-2010 11:06 AM

Propoganda, propoganda, propoganda. It is there for the naive and uneducated to soak up and adhere to so they too will join the noble bleeding heart bandwagon and help to further destroy the horse industry. JKust makes me red.

Speed Racer 04-06-2010 11:28 AM

Horse slaughter for human consumption has never been outlawed in the U.S.

The sale of horse meat for human consumption has been banned, but it's perfectly legal for you to have your own horse processed privately and use the meat for yourself or give it away.

Just because the plants closed doesn't mean that equine slaughter is illegal in the U.S. Where do people even get that idea?

Missouri isn't the first state to institute legislation to reintroduce equine slaughter plants to the U.S. In fact, KY, WY, MT and SD are all working to do the same.

I for one will be glad to see the plants reopen, because then we'll have the ability to address the things that need to be regulated. Maybe the second time around we'll be able to get it right, and make things more humane for all slaughter bound animals.

I haven't seen any legislation yet for VA, but I'm not surprised the midwest states have started the charge. Since a large part of VA's economy is agriculturally based, it may be one of the first eastern states to get on board.

Honeysuga 04-06-2010 11:32 AM

I just emailed my senator.

I just wanted to let is be known that I fully support the bill to support horse slaughter in MO. I believe that allowing horse slaughter in MO would really boost the economoy by supplying jobs at the plant(s) themselves, revenue from the sales of horse meat to international buyers, and helping refeul the supply and demand in the horse industry itself.

As a loving horse owner and avid horseman I see the effects of the national closing of the plants every day in the abandoned, starved, and neglected horses sold at slum auctions for $25. I truly pity the poor animals forced to undergo the long journey to Canada and Mexico to unregulated plants when they could have shorter easier trips to government regulated and observed plants right here in MO if even just one plant were to be opened up. With the economy in the state that it is especially in MO, I feel the jobs alone would be worth opening up a plant or two, I know people who personally would give anything to be employed right now and I believe the plant(s) could provide much needed employment to a very needy workforce.

I hope more people will think like myself and be open to the bill and accept the fact that there is a surplus of horses, not just in MO, but in the entire United States, and the only logical way to lessen that load is to reopen US slaughter plants.

Thank you,
Sierra ********