The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pony Concerns (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pony-concerns-51836/)

alexischristina 04-05-2010 08:35 PM

Pony Concerns

I rode my sisters pony today.
And bailed, really freaking hard.

I wasn't wearing a helmet, probably not the best plan, but I don't think it would have helped much anyway, I landed on my shoulder... then my face, the most it would've done would be save my hair from the splash of mud that followed.
ANYWAY, basically, we were fooling around and 'running barrels' at a trot, canter out, her feet are a tiny bit long and she tripped, went down on her knees and I flung myself off to avoid getting landed on and let her have a fair chance getting up.

Here's my concern... I'm five feet tall, and I'm not SUPER skinny, but I'm not fat. I'm 130 pounds, which is heavy for my height, BUT I've got a fair bit of muscle mass and lets just say that when it comes to bust... I'm not flat chested.
I'm a balanced rider, I wasn't wobbling and I don't think I was causing her any problems, but what would you say about the size? She's about 12 hands I'm guessing, I'll measure later, and she certainly didn't seem to be having trouble, as at one point she picked up a nice gallop. I'm just wondering, it probably wouldn't have been as much of a 'fall' if she'd been carrying a smaller rider, and now I feel bad.

ponyboy 04-06-2010 08:16 PM

No idea about the weight, but keep in mind that the bigger you are in comparison to the horse, the easier it is to overbalance and fall off.

alexischristina 04-06-2010 10:48 PM

It wasn't overbalance, I checked where she fell and she definitely tripped over an awkward piece of grass-something. Not even sure how that HAPPENS, but I think my grandpa dug something up to place a mole trap and well... you know the rest.
This is why I'd rather ride in arenas, gah. My shoulder is KILLING me, but my head is fine, figures.

But yeah I'll keep that in mind, although I don't think I was too big and everybody said we 'looked' fine. Like I said, not very tall. =\