The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Is it an Arab thing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arab-thing-51842/)

horsegirlmaddy 04-05-2010 09:16 PM

Is it an Arab thing?

I've ridden a couple Arabians (all of them just a little....shall we be nice and say "off"? lol good thing I love the breed), and they all do this head-toss thing where they pull on the reins. None of them have issues with their teeth, so that's not it. I know not all Arabs do this, but I'm wondering if it's just theses particular horses, or if it's a common behavior in Arabs. Or it could just be me as a rider! But I've only noticed it in the Arabs.

Mustangg 04-06-2010 09:30 AM

Don't take any offense to this and I am most defiantly not trying to be offensive or anything, but it could be your riding style. The first thing I thought of was pain or a little discomfort but you mentioned that all their teeth were fine. Maybe check the saddle? I thought behavior but you mentioned that a lot of them do that. Again no offense but you could be doing something to irritate them? Good luck hope this helped!

Tayler

Pidge 04-06-2010 09:55 AM

My arab does it but only after she has been spooked or she has gotten excited. Maybe your on to something with it being an arab thing lol.

ridergirl23 04-06-2010 10:00 AM

Arabs were pretty much bred to carry their head highand aware, ive heard that it is sorta just an arab thing, but its just like thoroughbreds. TB's are known to be hothead, but not all of them are. same with arabs :)

Wallaby 04-06-2010 10:26 AM

My Arab is the only one I've ever ridden significantly (2 years) and recently enough to remember (haha) and she's only done "the head flip" once. We were galloping, she wanted to run away with me, I got mad at her, and she realized that it would be in her best interest to slow down, then she engaged in the head flip in a very "I don't wanna but I will" way. Haha

I've heard that it can be common for Arabs to flip their heads around (if you mean the horses flipped their heads around, not throwing them in the air) but it's the same with the idiosyncrasies of every breed: some will do it, some won't.

If you mean that these Arabs you rode kept throwing their heads in the air, then I would definitely look into saddle fit and how you're riding. =)

Crimsonhorse01 04-06-2010 10:30 AM

I would say its a training thing. ;)

speedy da fish 04-06-2010 11:06 AM

My half arab does that lol, I dont think its an arab thing though, although arabs are assocciated with that sort of behaviour. I have ridden other breeds like British Sports Horses, Dartmoors and Wesh ponies that do the 'head-toss' thing also, and there are probably many more.

caseymyhorserocks 04-06-2010 11:55 AM

my arab/paint tosses her head when she has a lot of energy, is spooky ( yesterday she was freaking out because of a puppy whining! and she was tossing her head dancing around etc.) but she doesnt do it when she is relaxed so the arabs might be sensing your nervousness/fear even if it is small!!

lilc0wgurl 04-06-2010 12:03 PM

my pinto pony started head tossing after i let a little girl ride her at horse camp . came to realize this girl was using way more rein then my Holly ever needed. In defense Holly would swing her head to gain rein back. Maybe these arabs you are riding need a little less rein then you are used to giving. Just listen to them and they will tell you want they would like.

BlueJayWay 04-06-2010 12:08 PM

My Arab has never tosses his head with the reins. When acting up he raises his head really high, but doesn't toss it. The only time I've seen him flip his head around is in the pasture.