The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Selenium supplement (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/selenium-supplement-51855/)

barrelracer892 04-05-2010 11:57 PM

Selenium supplement

I have a 15-year-old draft horse mix that has been doing something very strange with one of his back legs. I'm not sure if it's just one or both, haven't paid that close attention. He will kick at an imaginary fly, just stomping his leg a time or two. He doesn't do it that often, and he can move just fine, no limping. He's been doing it for a while. I have the vet coming out in a couple of days to do his coggins, so he will check him out then. My boss thinks it could be something to do with his hips, seeing as he is a draft mix. ???. She gave me a selenium supplement to put in his feed once a day for his hips. Has anybody ever used selenium on their horses?

trailhorserider 04-06-2010 12:25 AM

I don't have any idea what would cause your horse to have that problem, so I can't really offer any suggestions on that.

But I wanted to caution you that you should be careful about feeding selenium because horses can overdose on it.

I wouldn't personally supplement selenium unless I knew I was in an area that was lacking it and I was very careful that the other feeds I was feeding didn't also add large amounts of selenium. I was at a Purina workshop one time and they told the story of a lady who fed her horse several different supplements and all of them had additional selenium in them. Her horse died from an overdose of it. :-(

That is also what killed a bunch of polo ponies a while back (although they were getting it by injection and the pharmacy made a major dosage mistake).

So anyway, just make sure you are in a low selenium area and don't feed any more than the supplement package tells you to.

Maybe I just worry about everything,...... actually I KNOW I worry about everything(!), but I just thought I would mention it so you don't accidentally overdue it.

barrelracer892 04-06-2010 08:58 AM

Oh my gosh! That's awful! Thank you for warning me, I had no idea horses could overdose on that. Hey, it's good to worry about some stuff! Thank you for letting me know this!

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2010 10:24 PM

I use a selenium & vitamin E supplement whenever my horse is recovering from sickness. (2 bout's of Lyme disease and 1 leg injury) I do think it helps his body recover more quickly, but definitely make sure there's no selenium in anything else you're feeding, and if it is, add up all the totals and make sure you're not over the recommended amount. I forget the number. I'm sure you can find it somewhere on google.

MIEventer 04-11-2010 09:28 AM

Sounds like Stringhalt to me.

I've seen some drafts with it, and my previous TB had it. Where they pick up their leg up to their belly and then stomp it on the ground hard.

The Horse | What Is Stringhalt?

farmpony84 04-11-2010 10:49 AM

is this when he is walking or when he is standing?