The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western safety stirrups? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-safety-stirrups-5186/)

funnygal 01-08-2008 08:13 PM

Western safety stirrups?

Can anyone recommend any western safety stirrups? I got a western saddle for trail riding. I know there are some out there that cost $320 :shock: but that's a little high for me! :lol: I want cheap and effective!! Thanks!

Vidaloco 01-08-2008 09:12 PM

I looked at those breakaway stirrups once but the price really put me off. You might keep a look out on ebay for a cheaper price. I have tapederos on my saddle that keep my foot from slipping all the way through I think that helps a lot.

Jr_lover 01-08-2008 10:26 PM

what do you need safety stirrups for? Just wondering because western is about the easiest thing to ride in....

Vidaloco 01-08-2008 10:37 PM

I think she is asking about the breakaway's that will break away from the saddle if you fall off so you won't be dragged. They are built on a cam sort of thing that releases the stirrup. They are expensive but I can see their advantages.

kitten_Val 01-09-2008 08:15 AM

How easy to ride depends on horse really, not on discipline. Some are great bareback. Other even if you tie yourself with rope to the saddle are not that easy to stay on. :lol: I heard people had problems with breakaway stirrups, but I never tried myself. And yes, the price.... :roll:

Vidaloco 01-10-2008 08:23 PM

I think the tapederos work just as well at a third of the cost. I was sitting in the dentist today :( reading my horsey magazine and there was an article on them and how they prevent the foot from getting caught. I know I love mine.

AKPaintLover 01-10-2008 09:11 PM

Vidaloco, are those the things that go on the front of the stirrup (sort of blocking it) so you can only put your foot in so far. My six year old sister's kiddy saddle has those and I think they are a fabulous safety mechanism and so cute on such a little saddle. Of course personally I think they would drive me batty. I like to trail ride with my legs hanging out of the stirrups most of the time anyway - bad me :)

Jr, I would be careful in presuming what is easy in riding and what is not - it was not the case here, but you don't want to accidentally hurt someone's feelings about their riding ability :) :)

Vidaloco 01-10-2008 09:34 PM

Yes but I'm sure they are a little differnt (bigger) than a kids :lol:
I ordered my saddle with them after catching a large limb through a stirrup and about breaking my leg. Mine is a Paso Spanish style saddle I know they are more popular on the mex/spanish saddles.

kitten_Val 01-11-2008 08:18 AM

Vida, how you attach those? Or they come with stirrups kinda 'built in" already?

Vidaloco 01-11-2008 12:19 PM

Kitten, yes they are all one piece and attach just like any other stirrup. Here are some of the cheaper ones I have found. These don't have a full floor which I prefer. but the price isn't bad.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5 Just google tapaderos there are all types fancy and plain expensive and reasonable.

taken from cowboyway.com:
Hooded stirrups, also called tapaderos (or "taps") are stirrups that have a hood over the front of the stirrup that covers the front part of the rider's foot. Hooded stirrups serve several purposes: They deflect brush to help keep the rider's foot from being pulled loose from the stirrup, while also preventing the foot from being stabbed with cacti or thorns; they provide protection from weather, including to help provide extra warmth in cold weather; and they prevent the rider's foot from going through the stirrup, helping to avoid potentially serious accidents.

While riders of all types sometimes ride with hooded stirrups, they are particularly favored among working cowboys, people that ride in cold conditions, and trail riders. They are also frequently used with young riders, as many parents and riding instructors feel they are an essential safety precaution.