The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Turning on the forehand/haunches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/turning-forehand-haunches-51879/)

RedTree 04-06-2010 07:37 AM

Turning on the forehand/haunches

1 Attachment(s)
How do you teach these?

Do you one teach them from the ground first
then get up on them but then whaat leg aid would you use

also when I had lesson when I didn't have a horse and I'm pretty sure the horse I rode knew how to do it but anyway we did an exercise with 2 poles on the ground in a T-shape there was a gap between the - and the
I but you used your outside leg to swin the hindquarters around then your inside? rein to stop the horse from moving forward it was a long time ago but thats what I remember
but I have no idea how to teach turning on the haunches

I would be teaching my 14 year old tb who has no dressage training but is willing to learn
any help would be appreicated

I have a pic of the T that I was talking about incase I didn't make sense as I suk at explaining :P

SorrelHorse 04-06-2010 12:13 PM

You'll have to start out from the ground first.

This is how I've always taught it:

From the ground, you'll use your hand to "Poke" or "prod" the horse where your leg would touch. For for the haunch turn, you would prod on the front half of the horse. If he moves off, keep prodding until you get one step of him just moving his front and keeping his butt stationary. Make sure he's crossing his legs over as well, and reward him. Same thing with the forehand turn. But remember, horses are right and left brained. If you teach it on the right, the horse most likely won't respond to it on the left unless its been taught to the left as well. So make him step over to the right, then step over to the left, right, left, right.....But mix it up, too. Don't let him turn into a drone or get bored with the excersize.

As he gets more comfrtable with stepping over, gradually ask for more and more steps. And then once he's mastered it from the ground, get in the saddle and try it. :)

ReiningTrainer 04-06-2010 01:33 PM

For a western pivot on the forehand I first teach the horse to move his hip away from my active rein using a snaffle bit. I start on the ground, but if your horse is accepting pressure on the bit then you can start from the saddle. Basically you will take the rein to his hip, as soon as he starts to move the hip release the pressure on the rein. From the saddle you will take the rein to your hip and shorten it as necessary to get only the hip to move. Always give the horse the chance to respond to light pressure. You may have to bring his head to the side at first, but as soon as you can, you want him to keep it no farther then 4" to the side. You practice until the horse will move the hip with light pressure, then add your leg cue. As the horse gets better his head will stay out front and you will want him to soften to the point of his shoulder.

For the western pivot on hind as for reversing directions, you need control of the shoulders both into and away from the rein. You will also work on the inside foot falling under your stirrup/foot so it is out of the way for the outside leg to come across. You can get this by asking the horse to follow the leading rein and when he does not, disengage the hip until that leg on the leading rein flies under your foot then release the rein and continue until the horse will put the foot in the correct place without going to the hip. You should practice until the horse picks up and takes the foot on the active rein and goes in that direction first.

The outside rein asks the outside shoulder to follow. This I would teach by first teaching the horse to move away from the active rein. You will be asking the horse to 'leak' out his shoulder. Pick up the rein and have the horse bend to about 4" of the straight, lift the rein, look and ride out over the opposite shoulder. When the horse takes one step release the pressure and have him follow his nose at least one step before asking again. This is a muscle building exercise so switch sides often and give him breaks. Get one step and build. When he is light on the reins you can add your leg.

My cues are: heel in front of natural straight position for the shoulder and behind the natural straight position for hip. I use the natural position for following my leg or side pass.

Now you can put both reins together and ask the horse to take both shoulders in the direction you want. Always start with the least amount of pressure on the rein and add pressure in increments and slowly. Release the pressure as soon as the horse thinks about moving in the correct direction and praise often. The horse should be getting the idea of each lesson in 15-20 minutes.

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/western-ri...#ixzz0kLEQLQdB

RedTree 04-06-2010 09:51 PM

ok thanks I will start from the ground
But I have tried it before and he seems really stiff moving from the hind -if that makes sense- like when i want him to keep his bum in place and want him to move his front end he does it eventually but seems very stiff

And when I firs did it I was prodding/poking at his shoulder and hindquarters should I move this is so I prod at the place where my leg should go or continue then once he gets the idea start moving in?

ReiningTrainer 04-09-2010 12:02 PM

Stiffness at first is to be expected and you can use that to get your connections. Get your connections with the horse going forward first. When he softens and stretches out his muscles and you are asking for more steps at a time, then you can add your leg aid. From the ground use your finger or whatever in the same place you want to use your leg or heel from the saddle. It is a secondary cue, so if the horse misses it back it up with the rein.