The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Are Straight Load Trailers Bad On Horses Legs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/straight-load-trailers-bad-horses-legs-51895/)

caseymyhorserocks 04-06-2010 01:09 PM

Are Straight Load Trailers Bad On Horses Legs?

I was wondering if it is true that straight load trailers are bad on horses legs? :? . I mean trailering a horse in any trailer for like seven hours or something would probably be bad on their legs even with bedding and mats. I am talking about a straight load trailer, with mats ( no bedding just mats) , 15 or less years old, driving for 30 min. - 1 and 30 min. ? Would their be the same amount of pressure on the horses legs as in a sland? More? Less?
Thanks!!

kevinshorses 04-06-2010 01:16 PM

Even hauling a horse for several hours isn't going to be too harmful if the person driving has more brains than horsepower. If you drive at moderate speeds and don't swerve around or slam on the brakes then it won't stress your horse much. If you drive your crew cab deisel pick up with a 16 foot trailer behind like it's a Camaro then you will have a problem regardless of the kind of trailer you have.

caseymyhorserocks 04-06-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 597229)
Even hauling a horse for several hours isn't going to be too harmful if the person driving has more brains than horsepower. If you drive at moderate speeds and don't swerve around or slam on the brakes then it won't stress your horse much. If you drive your crew cab deisel pick up with a 16 foot trailer behind like it's a Camaro then you will have a problem regardless of the kind of trailer you have.

:lol: lol!! We are pretty careful about driving with a trailer!! Especially going down our road which is steep and twsity~~ :D

smr 04-21-2010 11:54 AM

I recently had a horse get down in the trailer. I don't know how it happen but it did. I was driving very carefully. Damage wasn't too bad but it was scary.