The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   neutrena xtn vs safe choice, need more bulk. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/neutrena-xtn-vs-safe-choice-need-51943/)

kflannery 04-06-2010 08:53 PM

neutrena xtn vs safe choice, need more bulk.

anybody use Nuetrena xtn? i have a ottb, 7 year, moderate exercise shows 2'3. needs to bulk up more. right now mixing 1/2 safe choice and xtn. thinking of switching all to xtn. have tried wheat germ oil, weight builder, beet pulp, a daily dewormer, nothing wants to bulk him up, he gets plenty of hay daily.
any comments or reviews???? thanks

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2010 10:41 PM

Have you tried SmartGain by SmartPak? I tried EVERYTHING and it's the only thing I've seen a noticeable difference with.

kflannery 04-07-2010 08:10 PM

No, I havent I will check into that! thanks

heyycutter 04-07-2010 08:42 PM

ive been told purina ultium is good for gaining weight
and, i wouldnt recommend a daily feed threw dewormer, my BO swears it doesnt do anything, and ive met several horses (including mine) who were on the daily dewormer, and then had a fecal test, and were actually full of worms. the daily dewormer didnt do anything. i no longer feed it. i would recommend every 60 days a rotational deworming schedule

luvs2ride1979 04-08-2010 01:01 AM

I'd try some alfalfa pellets and flax. Or look in to calf manna.

roro 04-08-2010 01:52 AM

Rice Bran is what is being used on an underweight Appendix here in my barn, and it seems to be working well. I use Safe Choice on my horse, but that is more for maintaining weight than gaining.

kflannery 04-08-2010 08:03 AM

The daily dewormer is not doing anyhing, his fecal is negative so I will fiish up the bucket and then im done with it:) I dont like to use any alfalfa, for him it might cause kidney probloms so I dont think its worth the risk. It can cause calcium build up, and alittle to Hot. I only use timothy hay. I think im going to go back to beet pulp. i am going to try the pellets. I mean heis def more thicker than 80% of his ottb counterparts. I would just like his top line thicker. I may never get it, its just a thouroghbred for u!

draftrider 04-08-2010 11:17 AM

Beet pulp, and Weight Builder powder on top his grain will help.