The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/equitation-5197/)

LoveMyAppy 01-09-2008 01:22 PM

Equitation

Feel free to critique me lightly,don't crit Diesel please :)
I know my lower leg is unsteady,i have a knee problem right now,i have surgery sometime in Feb.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iq3RN6RQo-I

regardinghorses 01-09-2008 01:39 PM

Hey there! It's a little hard to see your equitation because of the sweatshirt, but I'll tell you what I can.

You look nice and soft through your back and stirrup length is good for equitation on the flat. I like the lively trot, and you both look comfortable and relaxed.

One thing to work on is softening through your elbows and hands so that they follow the movement of his head a little better. If you look closely, you can see that they are a little stiff and look a little jerky as you post. If you can soften those hands up, I bet Diesel will be more willing to bring his nose in. Your hands are also a little low -- there should be a nice straight line from your elbow to the bit.

Your leg looks pretty tight, but it needs to come back underneath you a bit to provide added support. There should be a straight line from your ear through your shoulder and hip and down the back of your heel. Lots of two-point (without supporting your weight with his neck) will help strengthen your legs.

Diesel looks like a nice horse and you are working well together, so just work on those small polishing details. Keep up the good work!

regardinghorses 01-09-2008 01:41 PM

You probably want to hold of on too much two-point work, though, until after that knee is taken care of. I don't want to make it worse!

LoveMyAppy 01-09-2008 03:09 PM

Thanks so much!
That helped a lot!

Magic 01-09-2008 10:59 PM

Deisel is cute!! too bad about your knee surgery!! hope it mends!!

Delregans Way 01-10-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

You look nice and soft through your back and stirrup length is good for equitation on the flat. I like the lively trot, and you both look comfortable and relaxed.

One thing to work on is softening through your elbows and hands so that they follow the movement of his head a little better. If you look closely, you can see that they are a little stiff and look a little jerky as you post. If you can soften those hands up, I bet Diesel will be more willing to bring his nose in. Your hands are also a little low -- there should be a nice straight line from your elbow to the bit.

Your leg looks pretty tight, but it needs to come back underneath you a bit to provide added support. There should be a straight line from your ear through your shoulder and hip and down the back of your heel. Lots of two-point (without supporting your weight with his neck) will help strengthen your legs.

Diesel looks like a nice horse and you are working well together, so just work on those small polishing details. Keep up the good work!
Very well said... keep up the good work! And goodluck with the knee surgrey, im sure you will do fine :)

LoveMyAppy 01-13-2008 06:46 PM

Thanks guys!

JustDressageIt 01-13-2008 07:04 PM

The only thing I can think to comment on (I don't think it's been said in this thread) is to keep your elbows close to your sides, and keep your hands quiet
Other than that, hope eveything goes well for you! Nice horse :)

quixotesoxs 01-19-2008 10:47 PM

Nice! One thing I like about you is that you are very light in your seat. My biggest problem is you need to steady your hands. Don't move your hands, but use your elbow. I like Diesel, he looks like an easygoing, fun horse to ride.

Cheval 01-20-2008 01:46 PM

I'm not going too "deep" into this, I haven't read anyone elses comments, but it looks like your really trying to get out of the saddle too much. Let your horse just bounce you out. I'm working on that, too, though!

But cute horse, love the name.