The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bitless bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bitless-bridle-51994/)

Nutty Saddler 04-07-2010 10:39 AM

Bitless bridle

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone

I recently made a bitless bridle for someone - she loves it and says that her horse also goes really well wearing it. She sent me some pics of her horse wearing the bridle I made so I thought I'd give you all a look.
It is made out of burgundy leather with white padding and has a pearl browband - all showstitched as well.
? what do you think

Attachment 28912

Attachment 28913

themacpack 04-07-2010 10:58 AM

Looks nice - if I may ask, how did the price of this compare to the retail price of the Dr Cook's?

Nutty Saddler 04-07-2010 11:12 AM

I actually don't know the price of a Dr Cooks so I can't say.
This bridle was $180 USD as it has a shaped headpiece and included a pearl browband and plaited reins. How does this compare to other bridles in the US - my main market is Europe but I have sent saddlery to the US as well as Australia and New Zealand .

ridergirl23 04-07-2010 11:12 AM

i have a question, how do bitless bridles work? i have wanted one for a while now, haha so i guess i should findout how they work... that one is very beautiful!

RiosDad 04-07-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 598179)
i have a question, how do bitless bridles work? i have wanted one for a while now, haha so i guess i should findout how they work... that one is very beautiful!

It's a beautiful job but as for bitless it has no bite and if the horse wants to run through it there is not much you can do.
I used side pulls for 20 years. They use a stiff rope over the nose so if you need bite it has some.

PechosGoldenChance 04-07-2010 03:30 PM

Ridergirl: I would imagine they work something like the hackamore. It applies pressure to their nose. If I'm wrong...someone please correct me! lol

Nutty: That is a very pretty bitless bridle!! Nice work

lauraleo 04-07-2010 03:50 PM

I love riding in bitless bridles!!! It just gives the horse a chance to CHILL !!!!! My mums friends hunter [ which i broke and trained- though only 13 ] . Once abby the hunter went back to her owner her owner gave her the habit of head shaking ! There was no reason for it ! We tried her in a bitless bridle and she loves it and doesnt head shake anymore .

For ridergirl23 -
Bitless bridles apply pressure to the nose - but if you have a horse that runs away from you / runs through pressure or runs through their neck then its not ideal ! But they are GREAT for strong horses , it worked for my connemara - we had some bad times with it but now i can hunt him in a snaffle !!!

ponyboy 04-07-2010 07:35 PM

Dr. Cook type bridles apply pressure all over the head. That's what makes them different from other bitless bridles.

kitten_Val 04-08-2010 08:52 AM

I don't like bitless bridles in general (just an idea of it, I have no problem with say halter with reins attached). Nutty, it looks great! I'll order my next bridle from you one day. :D