The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/barrel-racing-52000/)

Phantomcolt18 04-07-2010 11:25 AM

Barrel Racing

OKay so this is my friend and this was her 7th or so time on this horse. It used to be her dad's horse but her dad got a new horse and wanted to give her crystal and my friend has always loved crystal so she said yes. She just wants some pointers to see how she can get better with her.
**also as a side note her family didnt train this horse she was trained by someone else and that's why she's so hyper in the shoot.
***sorry lol also she is not a young horse(she's 24) so she wont be pushed but she pushes herself....no spurs, no whip.

horseluver250 04-07-2010 02:42 PM

She needs to keep her hands down, her arms are flopping around everywhere and popping to poor mare in the mouth

ETA: Just wanted to ad that the mare looks great for 24

PechosGoldenChance 04-07-2010 02:49 PM

Agreed^^. Her hands are quite floppy. And also, agreed that the mare looks great for her age!! All around...she's not bad at it. Practice makes perfect! :)

KateS 04-07-2010 03:06 PM

I agree about the hands. Also she needs to work on makeing her turns way tighter. Work on more technical stuff before running. If you can't walk the pattern correctly you should never trot and same for the lope. But definately a cute mare.

westonsma 04-07-2010 03:08 PM

Coming into the turn, she could guide the mare around the barrel a little closer if she used her inside foot to poke her ribcage out to the outside and bend around a little closer. She looks great for 24!!

Phantomcolt18 04-07-2010 08:38 PM

Yeah she does look good for 24 and her birthday is in 2 months so shes gonna be 25!! And she definately lives up to her paper name lol (it's Miss Mighty Crystal). I'll let her know about her hands I can definately see it....she's working on using her inside legs all her other horses were basically point them at something and they'll spin around it so she's not used to really guiding.. This was about three weeks ago and she's been practicing trot and lope just about every other day and her turns have gotten a bit better....our first show is this sunday i'll take her vid and post it so you can see her improvements.

kassierae 04-07-2010 09:26 PM

I agree with the hands, and she also needs to SIT DOWN in her turns and really the whole pattern, she bounces all over the place. She also needs to push the mare past the barrel a little more instead of pointing her right at it.

TheCowgirlRanda 04-07-2010 09:42 PM

I noticed that she doesn't slide her hand down the rein going into the turn and if she did this then the mare would bend around the barrel much nicer. Looks great for 25!!!!

ridergirl23 04-07-2010 09:49 PM

everyone here has given all the advice i could think of..lol. i just wanted to say she looks amazing for 25!!!!!

Phantomcolt18 04-07-2010 09:53 PM

haha she gets great care I'm guessing that's why she looks so good lol.....but I will defiantely tell her all of the advice you guys have posted she'll be so happy to fix everything because she wants it to work with crystal she's loved this horse since she was 6 and now she's 13 and her dad gave her the okay that she is strong enough to handle her...she's a POWERFUL horse.