The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What are some healthy horse treats? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-some-healthy-horse-treats-52044/)

Nature2horses 04-07-2010 08:24 PM

What are some healthy horse treats?

When I am training my horse I like to give them treats-it really praises them and they know they did it right. But I don't want to feed them too many. I give them max 10 treats. I know in clicker training, the horse gets tons but I don't think that is healthy. I would use carrots and apples(cut up) but I think they are too rich in nutrients to feed in large quantities. Store bought horse treats are too full of chemicals and I don't want to give them in large quantities.

So, does anyone know about healthy horse treats? I don't want any baked treats because they are full of refined flour and sugar(REALLY bad for horses, I'm not going to feed my horses refined sugar).

~*~anebel~*~ 04-08-2010 08:48 PM

I feed Manna-pro treats. They're the only thing I've found without a whole ton of crap in them. There's still some "junk food" but the first 2-3 ingredients are good.
I also feed carrots. There's no real harm in feeding them, apples however do have a lot more sugar.

Jordan S 04-17-2010 09:30 PM

I just give carrots and sometimes apples and peppermint candies. But carrots make up 80% of my lease horse's treats. They are just as satisfied with a carrot as they are with a expensive bucket of horse cookies.

Sonnyx12 04-24-2010 11:28 PM

since apples have a lot of sugar, i cut up carrots into sugar cube sized pieces and give my horse quite a bit everyday. he is very food motivated so i reward him often with carrot bits, especially when learning something new. and the carrots are fairly cheap and not messy which makes them even better.

qtrhrsecrazy 04-25-2010 09:39 AM

I use Nickermakers.. pkg says they're healthy, but who knows lol. Horses seem to like them

equiniphile 04-25-2010 10:11 AM

Carrots, Apples, Peaches, and Life Water are my horses' favorites!!

Tennessee 04-25-2010 10:30 AM

:think: My horse likes beer.

But seriously, carrots are probably the best, cheapest thing you can give them as treats.

equiniphile 04-25-2010 01:24 PM

Give 'em a peach once in a while. My horses go crazy over them!

G and K's Mom 04-30-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee (Post 614724)
:think: My horse likes beer.

LOL, so do mine!

I keep a bag of hay cubes on hand. Super cheap, $10 for a 50 pound bag and you can't get anymore natural than hay! The added bonus is after a couple of cubes they head straight for the water tub.

Sonnyx12 04-30-2010 04:43 PM

i just read chosen by a horse, and it says in there that horses love whiskey, and that it is good for them if they are in shock. anyone ever heard that before?