The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   discrimination!??!?!?!?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/discrimination-52057/)

megannnn 04-07-2010 11:39 PM

discrimination!??!?!?!?!?!

okay imma vent.

i hate how just because my horse is a paint he isnt well excepted in the hunter/jumper world. he isnt very excepted in dressage or eventing in my area either. They havent even seen him move and write him off because he has two colors on his coat? i dont think his coat color makes a difference! or HIS BREEDING!! i hate how a horse isnt good because he isnt worth 20,000 dollars and imported or is a fancy thouroughbred (no offense to those with horses like that). well im perfectly happy with my 2500 dollar horse who is the bomb and does anything asked.just because he has a different coat dosent mean he cant out jump a chestnut or grey or bay. !@#$% it makes me sooo maddd!!!!!! okay vent session over.
feel free to comment on it ;)

rocky pony 04-08-2010 01:27 AM

lol, my Thoroughbred was cheaper than your paint..and there are paints that cost craploads, too. Price isn't really the issue in this particular case...
But I agree, it's ridiculous that looks have to matter as much as they do..
However, paints generally aren't as well suited for these disciplines as things like TBs and WBs and such...but that doesn't make them incapable and there are exceptions to everything, so they really shouldn't be judged on breed or looks, but rather how well they perform.

roro 04-08-2010 01:30 AM

Can you prove that they were discriminating because of his coat color, and not his conformation, movement, breeding, your riding skill etc?

rocky pony 04-08-2010 01:43 AM

Well personally I've known quite a few people at least in the dressage world who very strongly frowned upon paints competing in dressage..

Alwaysbehind 04-08-2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roro (Post 598962)
Can you prove that they were discriminating because of his coat color, and not his conformation, movement, breeding, your riding skill etc?

Exactly!

I ride an appy in the hunter world. I get good ribbons some days and not good ribbons other days. Just like every other horse out there.

You will find very few judges that judge the horse on anything but its movement and form and such (and turn out, etc, obviously). They do not care if the horse is grey or has spots.

The only one having a prejudice is you, Megannnn.

speedy da fish 04-08-2010 07:54 AM

yeah, its stupid, think of Mon Gamin and if you havnt heard of him, look him up on youtube :)
(he is not paint breed but he is bay pinto)

MIEventer 04-08-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

okay imma vent.

i hate how just because my horse is a paint he isnt well excepted in the hunter/jumper world. he isnt very excepted in dressage or eventing in my area either. They havent even seen him move and write him off because he has two colors on his coat? i dont think his coat color makes a difference! or HIS BREEDING!! i hate how a horse isnt good because he isnt worth 20,000 dollars and imported or is a fancy thouroughbred (no offense to those with horses like that). well im perfectly happy with my 2500 dollar horse who is the bomb and does anything asked.just because he has a different coat dosent mean he cant out jump a chestnut or grey or bay. !@#$% it makes me sooo maddd!!!!!! okay vent session over.
Well, when I was growing up, I was told the same thing about Paints not being popular in the Hunter Ring because they are too loud of a color and a distraction. I would even see some paints here and there in the show ring and I would hear rude comments from people watching.

I thought the same thing, discrimination.

Until, a while ago, I read in a GM column in the Practicle Horseman about how much he loves paints, and while some will mark against them, he wouldn't because they are just as great as the next horse. He grew up riding Paints and they are one of his favorite.

So I say - if GM, the man himself who aided in creating Hunters here in North America says that they are great, then - they are great :)

Now - in the Jumper Ring, I don't see what the problem is. There are very nice Colored TB's in competition and Colored WB's in competition and doing well - so why can't you do so with yours?

Eventing - I say B/S about discrimination about the color of your horse - maybe in your area, but that is not the norm. Anything is accepted in the Eventing World, I mean heck, I Evented a Mule for pete's sake, a black and white paint on that matter.

People in the Eventing World are open minded, accepting and encouraging. I've never heard anyone bash another horse just because of it's breed or color. I have seen many colored horses in competition, with no problems.

And on that fact - same with the Dressage World, I have seen many colored horses compeating and doing well. It is about movement, conformation and performance, not the color or breed of the horse.

~~

I say regardless of what others around you say, just keep on doing it. It doesn't matter about their opinions, it is your opinoin that counts. You will get MANY opinions in the horse world, get used to it - it is up to you with what it is that you do with them.

It is ok that you feel judged against because of owning a paint, they weren't that popular, but are becoming quite so. It is ok to feel the way you feel, and be proud of yourself for making a post about it so that you can get kind and informative information back to help you grow and mature as a rider and a horse person.

Ride on, keep doing what you are doing. If you want to do Hunter/Jumpers - then do it. If you want to Event, then do it. If you want to compeate in the Dressage World, then do it! It isn't about what color you are riding, it is about your training, mind set and performance.

:)

Lonannuniel 04-08-2010 09:42 AM

Personally, i would love to have one of those horses people say can't do hunter jumper or dressage. that way. they can make their comments and blah blah blah, which will make it so much more fulfilling to get in that ring and kick all the warmblood's butts! =D then it doesn't matter what they say because you and your awsomly colored horse has the first place ribbon!

My2Geldings 04-08-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megannnn (Post 598890)
okay imma vent.

Tho it's true there is some discrimination going on(welcome to the horse world), I'm not sure that the fact your horse is a paint, is the issue. I'll try to put this the nicest way I can.
You have a horse who is easily recognizable from the competition. A horse who everyone will remember. One of those things where unless you guys are spectacular, your horse will be remembered from the rest of the competition. That goes if you guys are REALLY good as well. That can also be said of any horse(bays, blacks, greys chestnuts etc).

If you suck and you're riding a more commonly seen color, it's a lot easier to blend in with the rest. Where as you come with your paint....ah....well...

As for competition for you, I see "mutts" win and beat the butts out of VERY expensive imports alllllll the time. The breed itself(in most cases) has very little with it. I think it all has to do with the level of competition you bring in, and what you're up against.

draftrider 04-08-2010 11:01 AM

There IS discrimination in the horse world. Even in the little 4H shows! Sorry folks but its true. When I was in 4H I was told that I could not enter barrel racing because my horse was a Belgian, and that "work horses belong in the weight pull, not the show ring". I'm sorry, my horse might have been slower and not as nimble as the billions of quarter horses there, but I trained him myself and I was proud of it.

Around here if your horse is anything but a quarter horse, you are shunned, and its simply the truth. God forbid you ride English. I did barrel racing on a 2000 lb horse in an Aussie saddle... imagine the heckling I got.

So just ignore what anyone says. Work with your horse, learn to better your ride, and enter. If you don't win, look at why. There has to be another reason- and like My2geldings said, if you have a flashy horse, they will remember you- good or bad.