The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Seal Brown? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/seal-brown-52063/)

Trish2010 04-08-2010 03:15 AM

Seal Brown?

1 Attachment(s)
I thought my mare was a dark bay, then when she foaled the colt is grey..I know he will shed out to something different, anyway someone told me the mare was seal brown. Can anybody give me a good description of this color. Kaluah has a tan around her nose, a little under each eye, and her stomach is tan, but the rest of her is dark. She also has a black mane and tail. This isn't a very good picture, and she was prego. Her belly is getting quite a bit lighter now that she is shedding out.

thunderhooves 04-08-2010 03:34 AM

i had a Seal Brown mare once. You mare def. looks like a Seal Brown. :)

kassierae 04-08-2010 03:41 AM

Seal brown is basically another way of saying dark bay.

Quote:

Seal Bay (At): Seal Bays or Browns are very dark and generally have a black, or nearly black, body with red or tan around the nose, eyes, and flanks. Seal bay is controversial, with some arguing that it is actually bay + sooty. At present, Pet DNA Services of AZ offers a test for (At) but because they have not published their research, there is still some debate.

^Taken from the equine-color.info website.

So basically she's both. :)

Jacksmama 04-08-2010 10:08 AM

The light around her muzzle and belly is from a Pangare modifier. It lightens the hair along the bottom line of the horse. Basically the opposite of the sooty modifier, which causes dark hairs along the topline of the horse, thats what creates a mahogany bay.

It was my understanding that a seal brown horse is genetically a bay that doesn't express the black hardly at all. Maybe a tiny bit on the muzzle and hardly at all on the legs, could be wrong though.

As far as the foal color, even if he were to turn gray eventually he wouldn't be gray at birth, it takes years to completely gray out. Could he be black? Often black foal hair is a grayish or buff color until they shed out the first time.

NittanyEquestrian 04-08-2010 10:09 AM

The only time there is really a distinction is when people think that seal browns are black. Seal brown is like Kassirae said just a type of bay that doesn't have the vivid color differences as say a blood bay would and the brown colors are more tan than chocolate or red.

Out of curiosity though..what happened to her right hock? That looks like some serious proud flesh and I'm surprised she was ok carrying to term with that injury. I hope she has done a lot of healing since the picture was taken! poor girl =(

Trish2010 04-08-2010 11:34 AM

Nittany, when I got her from her former owner, he said that she had "scraped" her hock. When I saw it it was horrible, actually what you are seeing now is great compared to before, he wasn't doing anything except spraying blue kote on it. We think though that she got caught in the high tenisle fench he had. There is a good bit of proud flesh that the vet is going to be removing. The injury itself hasn't hampered her at all no lameness or even sore to the touch, she lets me spray it and scrub it like I'm just rubbing her leg. It is looking better everyday though with lots of TLC

Trish2010 04-08-2010 11:37 AM

I do hope the baby sheds out black. I was shocked when I saw him right when he was born, the sire is a dark bay too, so I just figured we'd have another one just like mommy and daddy. I love Kaluahs coloring, but some people say she looks too much like a mule.

NittanyEquestrian 04-08-2010 11:46 AM

I'm a sucker for a good bay/brown horse too. I'm glad that her leg is doing as well as you said and that you were able to take her in and give her the TLC she needed!!