The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare might be pregnant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-might-pregnant-52117/)

brandyglenn 04-08-2010 04:06 PM

Mare might be pregnant

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation, my mare was with a colt for a week, I was very naive in thinking that they couldn't do anything. Well, they did, not sure how often, my mare is 19 and has not foaled in many many years, the baby is 1 1/2 years old. He has moved out now. My vet is coming out to do an ultra sound, and she is not concerned if she is, because she says she is healthy enough to have a baby. I'm just curious what the chances are that she did conceive given her age and his?

.Delete. 04-08-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandyglenn (Post 599473)
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation, my mare was with a colt for a week, I was very naive in thinking that they couldn't do anything. Well, they did, not sure how often, my mare is 19 and has not foaled in many many years, the baby is 1 1/2 years old. He has moved out now. My vet is coming out to do an ultra sound, and she is not concerned if she is, because she says she is healthy enough to have a baby. I'm just curious what the chances are that she did conceive given her age and his?

I seriously hope your mare is in good condition to have a foal. Her age scares me. There are alot of heal risks breeding a mare of that age.

brandyglenn 04-08-2010 04:13 PM

She is in very good condition , but it scares me too. I will know for sure Tuesday. I trust my vet, if she is comfortable , I am, if not I'll let her give the shot to my mare. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it either way, but want to know soon, so can have 11 months to prepare, learn and have all the right people in place.

draftrider 04-08-2010 04:14 PM

Lust will find a way.

thunderhooves 04-08-2010 04:15 PM

how often?lol that sounds........*cough*
Anyway, if she was in heat and with a stud, there are very good chances. There was a story on here a week ago or so, about an old mare and stud that had been put together because the mare hadn't been able to foal for years. guess what? a year later, a baby showed up.
I would suggest aborting it if there is one, for her sake, if the vet thinks she can't handle it, or you do. Of course, it is entirely your choice.

themacpack 04-08-2010 04:16 PM

Even if she is bred, there are alternatives to carrying the foal to term

kassierae 04-08-2010 04:17 PM

Personally at that age I would get her ultrasounded and then have her abort the foal. I would worry way, way too much with a mare at that age.

.Delete. 04-08-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kassierae (Post 599500)
Personally at that age I would get her ultrasounded and then have her abort the foal. I would worry way, way too much with a mare at that age.

Exactly

brandyglenn 04-08-2010 04:26 PM

I probably will have it aborted. As for how often, I have no idea, its a long story why they were together, but vet was out that week and we thought she would be ok until he left. I asked her then if he could and she said YES, but we would prob be okay, but I think for and older mare its very hard to conceive.

thunderhooves 04-08-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandyglenn (Post 599510)
I probably will have it aborted. As for how often, I have no idea, its a long story why they were together, but vet was out that week and we thought she would be ok until he left. I asked her then if he could and she said YES, but we would prob be okay, but I think for and older mare its very hard to conceive.

Where theres a will, theres a way....... as long as he's tall enough.