The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tail "Dreds" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tail-dreds-52120/)

kmacdougall 04-08-2010 05:21 PM

Tail "Dreds"

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, my horses are outside all day/inside all night, and I prefer to leave their tails down and unbraided. Except they get "dreds", which isn't a big deal in my retired horse, but I don't really like my working gelding to have these in his tail since they're ugly. There isn't like burdocks or anything in it, the hair just spirals around itself and is hard and tangly if you try to brush it.
Does anyone else have this problem and how do you fix it before shows? I was thinking of maybe washing it, conditioning it, then soaking it in detangler but is there better ways? Any particular comb you guys really like for this situation?

You can see how it's like.. stringy in the picture attached.

whiskeynoo 04-08-2010 05:39 PM

pig oils great for tangles

Honeysuga 04-08-2010 06:19 PM

Use a "ethnic" hair relaxer, it is gentle and will keep the strands from dredding up for a while. After you relax it, condition it really good when it is dry. This has always worked for me with twisty tails and in very low maintenance once you do it for a bit. You can find the relaxers in any Walmart or beauty supply stores.

masatisan 04-08-2010 08:14 PM

The dreds are actually really good for the hair, the individual strands stay protected when they're clumped together and tend to actually stay a bit cleaner. I'm not sure what to do about preventing it, but I will tell you that the majority of horses I've seen, the thicker the tail "dreds up" the nicer the tail is after being brushed out.

IslandWave 04-08-2010 08:15 PM

Some of our horses' tails get like that, but all you really have to do to prevent it is brush them out every day (or at least every other day) and put some detangler and elbow grease into it. That's what works for me. :)

wild_spot 04-08-2010 08:26 PM

My show horse gets the worst dreads! I just leave it until the day before, then shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse, then go through with Hi-Shine hot oil and let it dry, then brush it out, and plait it for the night.

Viola, non-dready, mirror shiny tail in the morning. Tail Bag helps.

DocsDaniGirl 04-09-2010 10:20 AM

I call them 'wind tunnels'. :lol: My horse gets them all the time. I don't show, but some Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine and a brush has always worked wonders for me.

Good luck!

kmacdougall 04-09-2010 03:06 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate your advice :-)

Thelma 04-09-2010 04:50 PM

I would wash it well for once and then put baby oil in it to hold it from dirt and brush it once per day.. :D