The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How did you get into the "horsie world"? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-did-you-get-into-horsie-52134/)

Sunny 04-08-2010 08:49 PM

How did you get into the "horsie world"?

We all had to start somewhere! How did you first get involved with horses? Lessons, a friend, family member, camp? I began working with horses when I was 8, when I rode my friends gelding. After that, there was no turning back. :]] What about you? :]
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 04-08-2010 08:50 PM

Born on a horse farm :)

RedTree 04-08-2010 08:53 PM

started riding my friends pony and that did it I had caught the bug convinced my mum to let me have lessons that was for my 13th birthday and it all went from there lol

ShutUpJoe 04-08-2010 09:03 PM

I don't remember! lol

Carleen 04-08-2010 09:19 PM

I always, always, always wanted lessons, but my mom always said that it was just a phase. She'd send me to horse camp once a week in the summer, and stuff like that but never get me involved in lessons because it was just a "phase". So one day I picked up a local horse magazine, found an ad for a barn near my house, handed it to her and said, "Call them. I'm going to take lessons there."
So we went and visited that barn the next day and I started lessons the next week! :) I ended up riding at that barn for quite a few years, too.

drafteventer 04-08-2010 09:31 PM

My mom had horses before I was born or thought of, so basically I first saw horses after I was born. I didn't start the actual riding thing until I was 7 or 8 though, and the love for the sport just never stopped.

My2Geldings 04-09-2010 10:36 AM

I was about 10 years old. Growing up we lived out in the country and we had a riding stable just down the road from us. I asked my parents if I could have a riding lesson, which they paid for me to go take and voila. Been hooked since. My parents bought 3 ponies about 3 months later and been a spoiled brat since. I didn't get my first actual horse until we moved from Europe out here.

lolayla 04-09-2010 05:19 PM

born and raised!!

BFFofHorses 04-09-2010 05:23 PM

My best friends live on a horse farm, so I've been riding my whole life. Then they bought me a horse :)

Kayty 04-09-2010 09:51 PM

When I was 4 we moved to a property and our neighbours had horses. I'd always been nuts about horses and my folks took me up there to sit on the horses with the owners. The owners ended up giving me lessons on their horses, and it escalated from there. Had lessons until I was 10, parents realised I wasn't going to 'get over it' and after much nagging and begging and pleading and sucking up big time I got my first pony.
Poor parents had no idea what they'd gotten themselves into!