The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Riding Without A Helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/riding-without-helmet-52156/)

rissaxbmth 04-09-2010 12:38 AM

Riding Without A Helmet?

I know its not the smartest thing to do but is there a law against a minor riding without a helmet? I'm 16 and have my own horse and ride on my own property but my friend swears that its illegal. I left my helmet one day and didn't feel like driving 45 minutes back to my grandparents house to get my helmet. I rode without my helmet and she freaked out on me because of it.

vivache 04-09-2010 01:29 AM

I can't remember if it's up to 16 or 18 that you are REQUIRED by law to wear a helmet. But there is a legal limit, at least in VA.

rissaxbmth 04-09-2010 02:09 AM

I tried looking it up but there was nothing that said there is a law if its on my own property and my own horse. It was mainly stating if I rode at a stable or rode someone elses horse.

AztecBaby 04-09-2010 02:10 AM

I'm 14 and I never wear a helmet unless I have to aka at a comp or some other event where it is a rule.

I ride around the streets and through town etc and the cops have pulled over to talk to me about it before and threaten me with fines etc but I just say whatever and keep doing my thing so they don't bother anymore.

So I'm guessing it's not necesserily legal but if it isn't no punishment is being enforced on me.

PaintHorseMares 04-09-2010 04:09 AM

Every area is different, but I don't believe that any helmet laws reach onto your personal property. The best source of local information is your county clerk's office. As far as riding on the roads, your state department of transportation is the place to call.

Twilight Arabians 04-09-2010 04:15 AM

I know out here in Idaho there is no law about it, in shows its required for English riders but not in western(if over 18). I almost never wear one, I will sometimes if I'm going on a trail ride and my horse is having a bad day, but other wise I don't.

speedy da fish 04-09-2010 05:54 AM

In the UK it is required to wear a helment up until the age of 16. If you are having lesson you are required to wear one at all times no matter how old you are. I dont know if it is the same in the US

xLaurenOscarx 04-09-2010 08:34 AM

In Ireland you HAVE to wear it until your 16 and if your doing cross country you HAVE to wear your body protector too.
I think its stupid when people don't wear there hat. It shows how much people value their life if they don't wear it.

Speed Racer 04-09-2010 10:49 AM

When I was younger I thought I was indestructible, too.

A couple of bad falls and a few nasty concussions later, I figured out that wearing a helmet is a smart thing to do.

I'm a helmet Nazi when it comes to myself. Every ride, every time. No excuses!

Boarding stables and other riding venues are required by their insurance carriers to require helmets on all riders under the age of 16. My trainer goes further, and says on her property it's 18 and under.

If you don't want to wear a helmet, that's your business. I think it's foolish and asking for trouble, but I'm not going to hound people about it. Unless you're under the age of majority, and then I'm going to ask your parents why they don't love you enough to make sure your brain is protected.

ridergirl23 04-09-2010 11:44 AM

im not sure about laws... but at the barn i board at its rule if your under 18. i always wear my helmet, i ride dressage and even in dressage ive seen some bad wrecks.