The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Clinic! Which horse to take?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clinic-horse-take-52162/)

kitten_Val 04-09-2010 08:40 AM

Clinic! Which horse to take??

I have almost zero experience going to the -professional- clinics, so I want to hear the opinions! I have a dilemma here... :lol:

I signed up for clinic while I was at the Expo (it'll be mid of May). It's an obstacle clinic (meaning lots of scary things you have to negotiate, including may be guns etc.). So now I can't decide, which horse to pick to make it mostly effective for BOTH of us.

Jemma (the QH) went to lessons in different barns, rode on trails quite a bit, went to the team penning clinic (didn't go very well though, but still), etc. She's also more on laid back side. Which means of course it'll be easier for me to deal with the clinic (at least I think so :wink: ), but not very positive how much she'll learn. Also she may go to the english riding clinic end of this month (it's about better balancing horse and rider).

Kiara (the paint) doesn't have nearly as much experience as Jemma going out. She's also very easily overexcited (and you can't do much about it, just type of a horse) and spooky and didn't have much experience dealing with other horses since I got her. So I'd think for her it'll be a really big experience, but I'm not positive it'll be all that pleasant for me to deal with too nervous/excited horse all day long.

So... What do you think? :-P

xLaurenOscarx 04-09-2010 08:46 AM

I think it would benefit Kiara more but I know what you mean about having to try handle a spooky horse all day but with the clinic they will help you handle her spookiness. Have fun whoever you take:)

speedy da fish 04-09-2010 09:13 AM

I think a clinic like this would do Kiara good, you say she is not as experianced as Jemma and spooky.

Snowkicker 04-09-2010 09:18 AM

I vote for Kiara as well. I think you both will get more out of it than if you take the easier going horse.

kitten_Val 04-09-2010 10:26 AM

Thank you, guys. I'm leaning towards Kiara too, but will see if she'll be in heat that period (she's a nightmare to deal with then).

MaggiStar 04-09-2010 11:51 AM

Id say take Kiara as the people in the clinic will show you how to deal with her problems before your in like a very large field and a gun goes off!

FlitterBug 04-09-2010 05:38 PM

Kinda off topic, but could you tell me what english clinic you are going to later in the month? I know its a long shot, but one trainer that I work with teaches a clinic in Baltimore every month, just curious if its her.

As far as horses go for your first clinic, its easier for you to decide. If Kiara is really spooky, she won't get much out of it because she'll be in defensive mode, where Jemma may give you a chance to refine your skills a bit more in preperance for working with Kiara. However, if Kiara is pretty receptive and just a bit skittish, she would be getting a lot more out of it in the long run, but her mind has to be with you more than on whatever is in question, or she may go into overload.

roro 04-09-2010 05:40 PM

Kiara, if you feel you're ready. Don't go with her if you know you are going to be excessively nervous.

kitten_Val 04-09-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlitterBug (Post 600396)
Kinda off topic, but could you tell me what english clinic you are going to later in the month? I know its a long shot, but one trainer that I work with teaches a clinic in Baltimore every month, just curious if its her.

Playland Farm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlitterBug (Post 600396)
As far as horses go for your first clinic, its easier for you to decide. If Kiara is really spooky, she won't get much out of it because she'll be in defensive mode, where Jemma may give you a chance to refine your skills a bit more in preperance for working with Kiara. However, if Kiara is pretty receptive and just a bit skittish, she would be getting a lot more out of it in the long run, but her mind has to be with you more than on whatever is in question, or she may go into overload.

It's hard to explain. I'm not very positive skittish or very spooky are the right definitions. She just gets overexcited up to the point even her leg starts to shake. And it takes a long time to calm her down (last time 30 mins or so). I don't think I'll be nervous myself, but I don't think anyone will wait 30 mins on me to calm down the horse. So will see how she'll behave week before the clinic. :-)

equine fanatic99 04-09-2010 11:50 PM

defs Kiara ;)