The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping Constructive Critics Wanted (: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-constructive-critics-wanted-52194/)

rissaxbmth 04-09-2010 06:30 PM

Jumping Constructive Critics Wanted (:

I want some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only please (:
this was awhile ago. I've jumped higher this is almost 2 feet though. Sorry its not very bright. I also would like constructive criticism on this video too (:

Allison Finch 04-09-2010 07:19 PM

What a nice horse and you two look good together.
Here's what I have to say on the videos.

The horse is a bit hollow and not moving very forward. He's going nicely calm, but needs just a bit more energy/engagement. The angle doesn't give me much view of your riding, but it seems quiet and non-interfering, to me. I'm not a huge stickler on "proper" equitation, sorry. Just what works for the horse and rider combination.

Same basic critcism as #1. You need to get more comfortable with contact. And, the horse needs to come forward with more energy. The horse is looking for the contact several times. If you add more impulsion into hands that are soft, quiet and supportive, your horse will go SO nicely.
As for "equitation". You are riding a bit back on your "bum". You need to open your upper theighs and rock your seat forward. Think 3 point IE: two seat bones and the pubic bone. That way the upright position won't put you quite so far behind the horse's movement. You will be able to use your seat to help bring him forward, in front of your legs.

Keep it up. With a little more seat and leg into hands, energy, and constructive contact....you two will be very competitive.

Jordan S 04-10-2010 01:29 AM

seems like your leaning back and bouncing a lot on his butt. Arch your back and keep your body more forward.

UnrealJumper 04-10-2010 02:28 PM

#1 video :::: your foot seems to be a bit shoved in the stirrup. You want to be standing on the ball of your foot.
It does seem a bit like your bouncing in the canter, but with practice that comes =]

#2 video :::: Sit up a little bit more. (you want your shoulder, hip, and heel to all line up)
Take a bit more contact on the reins and use your legs to push him onto the bit.

Good luck in your riding =]

(your on eq life right??!! =]]]] )

equiniphile 04-10-2010 02:39 PM

Your horse looks annoyed at what you're doing with your hands, but I suspect he's the kind of horse trained to not blow off when someone does something wrong. I agree with the top posts, and don't give him the signal to turn until you're ready to turn!

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnrealJumper (Post 601039)
#1 video :::: your foot seems to be a bit shoved in the stirrup. You want to be standing on the ball of your foot.
It does seem a bit like your bouncing in the canter, but with practice that comes =]

#2 video :::: Sit up a little bit more. (you want your shoulder, hip, and heel to all line up)
Take a bit more contact on the reins and use your legs to push him onto the bit.

Good luck in your riding =]

(your on eq life right??!! =]]]] )

thanks! And yes I am

sandsarita 04-10-2010 10:24 PM

Jumping video, I have a hard time seeing your position, but from what I can see you are staying out of his way and not lying on his neck, both good things. The one criticism is that coming into the fences, it looks like you are almost bouncing, which makes me think you need to work on strengthening your lower legs and balance.

On the trotting video, I'm going to break it down into body parts
upper body: you need to close your hip angle some, and let your horse post for you. You are doing what I call pelvic posting, meaning you are leaning with your pelvis and pushing yourself up. Your horse should be pushing you up, you should just be controlling that movement. Also, shorten your reins and try to keep a steady contact with the bit. You really aren't helping him much with your hands.
Also, work on your diagnols (sp?)
lower body: your legs look pretty still and quiet, which is good. However, they could be more effective, which would help drive your horse up into your hands and help with your post more. To make them more effective, think about putting your calf on the horse and letting your knees come off. Right now you are pinching some with your knee, not bad, but it's keeping you from really using your legs well.

Hope that helps some, and I'm glad to see a trainer using a gymnastics type of exercise. It will do wonders to help a horse and rider.

rissaxbmth 04-12-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsarita (Post 601412)
Jumping video, I have a hard time seeing your position, but from what I can see you are staying out of his way and not lying on his neck, both good things. The one criticism is that coming into the fences, it looks like you are almost bouncing, which makes me think you need to work on strengthening your lower legs and balance.

On the trotting video, I'm going to break it down into body parts
upper body: you need to close your hip angle some, and let your horse post for you. You are doing what I call pelvic posting, meaning you are leaning with your pelvis and pushing yourself up. Your horse should be pushing you up, you should just be controlling that movement. Also, shorten your reins and try to keep a steady contact with the bit. You really aren't helping him much with your hands.
Also, work on your diagnols (sp?)
lower body: your legs look pretty still and quiet, which is good. However, they could be more effective, which would help drive your horse up into your hands and help with your post more. To make them more effective, think about putting your calf on the horse and letting your knees come off. Right now you are pinching some with your knee, not bad, but it's keeping you from really using your legs well.

Hope that helps some, and I'm glad to see a trainer using a gymnastics type of exercise. It will do wonders to help a horse and rider.

Thanks a lot (:
With the bouncing in my canter I've improved a lot. My new trainer is putting me on a lounge line and making me canter with no reins so its helping a lot to just go with his motion. With my post, we're still working on diagonals (so hard since I'm still getting the hang of it) I've been trying to let his motion push me out of the saddle instead of pushing myself out of the saddle myself. Thanks for helping its appreciated.

barnprincess 04-13-2010 03:43 PM

agree with every one else. and your posting on the wrong diagnal in the 2nd video.

RideroftheWind 04-13-2010 06:10 PM

I agree with all of the above /\

#1. You need to sit up a bit taller, and your toes are pointed out a bit much. Keep them pointed forwards or only slightly outwards. I couldn't really see much else because of the quality of the video.

#2. Keep your hands closer together and alot quieter and closer to the horse's neck. You need a firmer leg. Heels down more. Don't sit back so much.

Other then that, good riding!