The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpers!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dreamrideredc 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

Me and my horse have been showing hunters our whole life, but now we are going to try some jumpers! I've been kind of sick of hunters, so we all figured trying jumpers would be fun and something new...plus, with my boy's new speed...:wink:

Anyway, since I have never shown in jumpers, can someone tell me how it works? I know what it is and how it's judged, but I mean the courses, when the timer begins and starts, etc. Basically all of the technical stuff.

I'm hoping to get out to one of the shows to watch before we give it a try, but getting extra tips and tricks won't hurt!

Thanks! =]

#2 ·
Jumpers is fun! i think your goign to love it. Basically when you enter a show ushally the times that you ride will be on the website of the farm. So that is a gerneral time of when you will go in the ring. You go to warm ups maybe 30 minutes befroe your ride, depending on how much warm up time you need. and then they will call your number and tell you that your on deack (meaning your next I'm not sure if they do that in hunters or not xD) and then after the person before you exsits the ring you will enter and there will be either start flags or cones or some marker that marks the start of your course. and then same for the end there will be cones or some sort of marker. And after you finish you jst exsit the ring. Very simple and easy. =] And when you do go to your jmper show make sure to get picss! =]

#4 ·
hi, i have ridden hunters my whole jumping career and decided that i didn't like the "structured" riding of hunters like the braiding, and the perfect white pads, etc. since making the switch i realized I LOVE JUMPERS. you definitely have to be secure in your saddle and confident in your decisions to take the long spot or add a stride, make the inside turn or go around the jump that they so conveniently place right where the perfect turn would be haha.

my biggest thing is that i forget to wait for the whistle or the bell, or whatever starting noise they make. i'm just so excited to get going. so don't forget to wait for it! and it's very important to know where the start and finish timers are. your gallop down to the finish timers can make the difference between first and second place, and who doesn't want to win?? i have experience with stopping too early and not realizing it and coming in pretty much last place..

but i would recommend doing jumpers because i love speed and turns and technical courses (none of this line, diagonal, line diagonal stuff). good luck with your boy!! :)

#7 ·
You need to know what the rules or what section of the rulebook the class is being judged under. I don't know where Dobbin showed, but I've never heard of ride times being posted for jumpers, just for combined traning/combined tests.. In schooling classes or jumper divisions run within hunter shows; there's a posted order of go, just like for an eq class, but no accurate way to determine your ride time other than hurry up and wait and count how many trips ahead of you in the order.

Most jumper classes require you enter the ring, face and salute the judge. After the judge returns the salute, a signal will be given, usually a whistle or buzzer, and you have a set period of time, usually 60 seconds, to cross the beginning timers and start the course. If you make too large an opening circle or approach and cross the timer line you can be disqualifed, so make sure you understand where the timers are.

#10 ·
Thank you very much Upnover, your posts were very helpful!

The shows I compete in are local, very VERY casual. Usually over here, the riders show up in breeches, a polo, and a blinging belt :lol: Sometimes they show up zebra themed, never seen so much zebra in my life :shock:

I'm just trying it for fun, I'm thinking it will keep both me and my horse on our toes working to make the turns and such. It will be a nice change from our usual hunters...

My next lesson I hope to work on jumper themed courses, really concentrating on maneuvering and picking up the speed a TINY bit. And yes, that's a very godd point : NOT RUNNING AROUND THE COURSE LIKE MANIACS! Some of the younger girls, I'm talking around nine years old, will RUN the courses...ugh, makes me so nervous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.