The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Women sends back adopted child (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/women-sends-back-adopted-child-52284/)

My2Geldings 04-10-2010 06:13 PM

Women sends back adopted child

:shock:

Newsvine - Fury as U.S. woman adopts Russian boy, 7, then sends him back alone with note saying: 'I don't want him anymore'

Walkamile 04-10-2010 07:07 PM

Yes I saw this on the news. You can be sure that there is much more to this story. Give the media time and we will know.

Of course, I was just dumbfounded by the story. I'm sure there were better ways to handle this, but without knowing the full story, can't really comment based on any facts.

roro 04-10-2010 07:22 PM

She probably didn't think her decision through, and she could have at least contacted the agency if she truly couldn't have handled the child any more (the fact that she is a 26 year old nurse makes me believe she has a busy life). However, there is most likely more to this story. The fact that the writer of the article used words like 'fury' 'heartbreaking' 'horror' and 'grim' make it obvious that this is not an unbiased article. I'm not saying what she did was right, but the information presented is quite one-sided.

Indyhorse 04-10-2010 07:27 PM

I cannot fathom that.

As roro said, I'm sure there is more to the story. But at the same time - a parent is a parent, whether adoptive or biologically, in my mind. You don't just cash in your receipt and return them.

gypsygirl 04-10-2010 09:20 PM

no matter what the reasons, that poor boy !

My Beau 04-10-2010 10:43 PM

I also saw this on the news.

Just imagina how many russian orphans/american couples this is going to screw if the russians really do ban adopting kids out the US :(

TheRoughrider21 04-10-2010 10:57 PM

That's sad. I believe that she should have done more research or something before taking on a kid. I feel so bad for that lil boy. Its not like my mom could decide to "send" me back after she decided she didn't want me anymore. You just can't do that in real life.

shesinthebarn 04-11-2010 08:47 AM

Foim what In have read, she said the boy was violent and had severe emotional issues(duh, he's a 7yr old Russian orphan!). She also said that he had said he wanted to burn the house down with his parents in it. Even so, in my mind this is no excuse. If she was expecting a normal, balanced child with no issues she was living in la-la land. I feel it was her responsibility to seek all the help necessary for the child. It just seems as though she no longer wanted to put in the effort.
What gets me is that she just chucked the kid on a plane with a note in his pocket that basicly said "He's your problem now!". I understand that the child was most likely extremely difficult to deal with, but gimme a break! Once you sign those papers it's the same as if you had birthed him yourself - he's the adoptive parents responsibility. The woman in question feels as though the Russian agency lied about the emotional state of the child and misrepresented him in order to "get rid of him". I suppose it is possible, but despite this I still don't see how putting the poor kid on a plane back into a bad situation is a good option! There have been several cases where Russian children have died violent deaths at the hands of their adoptive US parents. It's becoming obvious that there are major problems with the adoption process between the two countries and I for one think it might be a good idea to stop the adoptions until they can work out the kinks - for the sake of those poor children!

My2Geldings 04-11-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shesinthebarn (Post 601615)
Foim what In have read, she said the boy was violent and had severe emotional issues(duh, he's a 7yr old Russian orphan!). She also said that he had said he wanted to burn the house down with his parents in it. Even so, in my mind this is no excuse. If she was expecting a normal, balanced child with no issues she was living in la-la land. I feel it was her responsibility to seek all the help necessary for the child. It just seems as though she no longer wanted to put in the effort.
What gets me is that she just chucked the kid on a plane with a note in his pocket that basicly said "He's your problem now!". I understand that the child was most likely extremely difficult to deal with, but gimme a break! Once you sign those papers it's the same as if you had birthed him yourself - he's the adoptive parents responsibility. The woman in question feels as though the Russian agency lied about the emotional state of the child and misrepresented him in order to "get rid of him". I suppose it is possible, but despite this I still don't see how putting the poor kid on a plane back into a bad situation is a good option! There have been several cases where Russian children have died violent deaths at the hands of their adoptive US parents. It's becoming obvious that there are major problems with the adoption process between the two countries and I for one think it might be a good idea to stop the adoptions until they can work out the kinks - for the sake of those poor children!

There you go. Another example of the media doing what they want to do with this. Unfortunate situation all around. Great for posting the info you got it definitely changes things around.

Equine Imaging 04-11-2010 02:20 PM

I also saw this on the news and found it totally shocking.

The broadcast said the adoptive family had run out of money and so he was given a one way ticket and put on a plane (alone) back to Russia.

Whatever the circumstances surrounding this case, there was surely a better way to handle this than to send him back.

I've watched a lot of documentaries about orphanages in Russia and many of the children who are sent there end up with severe mental conditions due to their surroundings. It is just tragic.