The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-dont-know-what-do-please-52300/)

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 10:38 PM

I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP!

I have only had my horse for a little over a week and he is giving me some REALLY bad problems. The first two times I rode him, he was PERFECT. He did everything I said but the third time I rode him he started acting funny and would constantly back up, throw his head, and stand in one spot no matter what ( I kicked him, I talked to him, my mom tried to lead him from the spot but nothing worked). I tapped him with my reins to make him go and he reared. I walked him around a little and got off to see if I could pin point anything. I can't find anything wrong. I thought maybe he was sore because I rode him the day before so I gave him a few days off (he is really out of shape). I tried riding today and now he is bucking, throwing his head worse (everytime I pull back on the reins even in the slightest bit), standing in one spot again and then walking a few more steps and stopping or backing up, when we grab his halter he throws his head. he won't listen and I don't know what to do. This horse is a dream when no one is on his back or if someone is leading him when someone is mounted. Please help ):

skittle1120 04-10-2010 10:43 PM

You've only had him a week? Sounds to me like he was someone else's problem horse and was buted out of his mind so he'd be good for you till you got him bought....

I'd either sell him ASAP, before I got hurt, to someone who has experience to handle him, or call a trainer....

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittle1120 (Post 601430)
You've only had him a week? Sounds to me like he was someone else's problem horse and was buted out of his mind so he'd be good for you till you got him bought....

I'd either sell him ASAP, before I got hurt, to someone who has experience to handle him, or call a trainer....

He was perfect though. He is on trial right now and I e-mailed the lady who had him and she said he never acted like that

vivache 04-10-2010 10:49 PM

They'll always say that. They'll never admit that they gave you a drugged horse.

I'd give him back, or get a vet out.

skittle1120 04-10-2010 10:49 PM

Ya, I bought one of those for my first horse... the previous owner was all "my kids ride him all the time, he's wonderful" until he put me in the hospital, then the story came out that he'd broken 3 of her ribs and her kids were terrified of him... And she was a "trainer"... more of a byb then anything.... The guy who has him now has way more experience then me, and is still getting thrown once a month...

If he's yours on a trial, consider yourself lucky your not in too deep, give him back, and keep looking....

I know, that's hard to do, but you'll be thankful when your still riding, not nursing a severe concussion and broken bones....

Citrus 04-10-2010 10:51 PM

Some horses do test their riders.... Do you know how to get him going once he walks or how to get him to stop rearing? I do not see you saying that you fell off, so I assume you stayed on.

Is there anyway that by getting off, you unknowingly trained him to rear or throw his head? Are you somehow making it easier for him to do these "bad" things as compared to what you want?

Is there a way to drug test a horse to see if he was buted to sleepiness and compliance?

Examine your abililties with his actions to see if you can handle him. I would not be so quick to label him a problem horse.

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivache (Post 601440)
They'll always say that. They'll never admit that they gave you a drugged horse.

I'd give him back, or get a vet out.

I just don't get how he was really good for 3-4 days. I could see him acting okay for a day or two but I didn't ride him every day. I've rode him, 4-5 times over a time period of 10 days. He's only done it twice.

skittle1120 04-10-2010 11:00 PM

Sounds just like Sniper... great 3 rides outta 4, and going crazy at random... He may not have been drugged, but he obviously has issues....

Nothing's worse then falling in love with a horse and then finding out the hard way that he's not for you... Sniper threw me into a tree almost 3 years ago, and I still have severe headaches, balance problems, trouble forming words when I speak, and my memory is pretty much shot... Do you really want to risk it?

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittle1120 (Post 601451)
Sounds just like Sniper... great 3 rides outta 4, and going crazy at random... He may not have been drugged, but he obviously has issues....

Nothing's worse then falling in love with a horse and then finding out the hard way that he's not for you... Sniper threw me into a tree almost 3 years ago, and I still have severe headaches, balance problems, trouble forming words when I speak, and my memory is pretty much shot... Do you really want to risk it?

I'm not risking it, I am calling the vet first thing Monday morning and I'm not riding him until he is checked over. If he doesn't improve he is being shipped back to his old farm.

rissaxbmth 04-10-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrus (Post 601443)
Some horses do test their riders.... Do you know how to get him going once he walks or how to get him to stop rearing? I do not see you saying that you fell off, so I assume you stayed on.

Is there anyway that by getting off, you unknowingly trained him to rear or throw his head? Are you somehow making it easier for him to do these "bad" things as compared to what you want?

Is there a way to drug test a horse to see if he was buted to sleepiness and compliance?

Examine your abililties with his actions to see if you can handle him. I would not be so quick to label him a problem horse.

When I get on him he walks like I tell him to and he walks for me, just like today he walked for me and acted fine for 10 minutes then he stopped. I did everything I mentioned above and nothing got him to go until I barely tapped him with my crop. I did not hit him hard just a little tap. He bucked. Then I was trying to turn him and he got mad and reared. I've rode many many many horses and I've never had this problem before. I don't think I am making it easier for him. I am not sure if I can get him drug tested.