The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Adequan vs Ichon (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/adequan-vs-ichon-52306/)

Team Penner 04-10-2010 11:36 PM

Adequan vs Ichon

My vet has advised me to use Adequan I.M. on my son's 17 yr. old western pleasure horse for arthritis. The treatment is a 5ml injection every forth day for 28 days (7 injections) at $42.95 per injection. I asked my vet why I couldn't just use Ichon, same drug but at half the cost. He told me that Ichon was not FDA approved for I.M. injections and that Adequan was FDA approved.

Anybody out there used either of these drugs for arthritis and what were your results?

Need advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upnover 04-11-2010 07:48 PM

Most of the older horses at our barn are on Adequan (IM) with noticeably beneficial results. I'm a big big fan. I attended a seminar on degenerative joint disease given by a vet for Luitpold (Adequan's pharmaceutical company) that was very very informative. While she did explain how Adequan worked it was not a sales pitch and completely unbaised in presentation. But I did come out of there a bigger fan once understanding how it all works.

Ichon is NOT the same drug. It's not a generic form of it. In fact, if I recall correctly I believe it's licensed as a WOUND DRESSING and frankly I was shocked that people use it at all. I know a few people who use it and like it and I know a few people who use it and can't tell a difference. I wouldn't risk it. If something goes wrong you're screwed.

MIEventer 04-11-2010 07:50 PM

I've never heard of Ichon! Huh, learn something new everyday.

Team Penner 04-11-2010 10:54 PM

Upnover, thanks for your response. After doing research on the net, I will be calling the the vet in the morning and starting my son's horse on Adequan. I will give you an update on his results.

upnover 04-11-2010 11:16 PM

Team Penner- I think that's a great idea. Adquan's been around forever and very popular for a reason! Keep us updated!

MIE- Like I said, I'm pretty sure Ichon is a wound dressing. How someone thought of injecting it into their horses is beyond me! I'm all for saving a buck but wow, that's just scary.

Team Penner 04-25-2010 11:46 PM

Update on my son's horse: doing extremely well, has completed 3 injections of the 7, we could see the difference in him after 2 hrs of the first injection. My son will be showing him starting this weekend and continue into the summer and fall show season.

mikimi10 06-10-2013 07:23 PM

Um. I am in the medical field and now quite a bit about pharmacology. Ichon is exactly the same as Adequan. The only difference it (Ichon) is not FDA approved for equine joint health, which is only a matter of submitting the proper documents. Both contain 100 mg/ml of Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan and both come in a 5ml vile which gives you 500 mgs of Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan. That's like naproxen (generic) 200 mg/tab is the same as Aleve. So whether you drink Heineken or Coors. It's still beer and it will still have the same effect.

farmpony84 06-10-2013 07:51 PM

From what I understand, there is no generic form of adequan for equine use.

I use Adequan on my horse, I did the first months does like you are doing and then after that I am able to do 4 shots at the 4 day interval every 3 months with great results.

Some people do the doses every 6 months, some do them monthly, etc. Depends on what works for your horse.

I was doing them monthly1 (meaning 1 shot per month) but the results weren't noticeable at that level.

mikimi10 06-10-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Penner (Post 615432)
Update on my son's horse: doing extremely well, has completed 3 injections of the 7, we could see the difference in him after 2 hrs of the first injection. My son will be showing him starting this weekend and continue into the summer and fall show season.

Are you using the Ichon??

kassierae 06-11-2013 07:04 AM

This thread is three years old...I don't know if the OP is around anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device