The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First jumping lesson at a new barn! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-jumping-lesson-new-barn-52353/)

horsegirlmaddy 04-11-2010 06:18 PM

First jumping lesson at a new barn!

Here's a video of my first lesson at a new stable. Sorry about the bad video.

This is Skipper, a lesson horse at Blarney Stone Farms. He's a very nice boy, but he has the BOUNCIEST trot I've ever ridden, so my sitting trot is pretty bad. I would love some advice on how to improve my sitting trot on a bouncy horse.

So critique away!

Sphi 04-12-2010 04:13 PM

Your sitting trot actually looks really good!! I ride a bouncy horse too, so I can sympathize. :) It looks to me like you could use a bit more impulsion—that means your horse needs a bit more pep in his step! Remember to close your legs on the way up to a jump, so your horse stays straight and steady. Also, don't lean forward TOO soon, because if your horse stopped, you would fall right over his head!

horsegirlmaddy 04-12-2010 11:09 PM

Thank you, I tried REALLY hard at the sitting trot!!!

I know I could use a lot more impulsion, but he was lazy and I was lazy so it just didn't happen *hides head* I'll work on it!!

I do have that problem of sometimes leaning forward before the jumps, but this is better than it was my first couple weeks of jumping (in December)!! My legs swung back so far, and I would practically spend the whole course throwing myself at the horse's neck! lol

RideroftheWind 04-13-2010 06:58 PM

It looks like your legs are a bit weak. During the sitting trot and the canter, I noticed your legs swinging a bit. Not too much; it's not a big problem now, but it is still crucial to have a strong leg. It's especially nessesary to have a strong leg while jumping, so as you approach a jump, squeeze with your legs.

Other than that, though, you're a really good rider. :)

horsegirlmaddy 04-14-2010 12:00 AM

Thank you! I've had off and on leg swinging problems, but I think they might be worse here because I fell off recently on hard ground and hurt my back quite a lot, and it hasn't really had a chance to heal, since I got right back in the saddle and keep riding even though I really should rest it....