The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Agressive dog and livestock (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/agressive-dog-livestock-52372/)

travlingypsy 04-11-2010 09:35 PM

Agressive dog and livestock

Im a bit ticked off at my stupid dog right now! I have a 2 year old Rottweiler. Had him since he was 6weeks old so hes been raised with this pot belly pig. Recently Duke has gotten agressive towards the pig. I dont understand why, nothing has changed. Yesterday I was outside in the yard Duke was with me so was my other dog (chihuahua) I was petting the pig and Duke was doing circles around me and the pig. Nothing to big of a deal but really annoying so I made him laydown.

Of course the pig is a prey animal and he doesnt like it when there is to much going on around him or he freaks out and runs away. Hes also been attacked by my other dog. But only when hes snuck into the house, Duke has also went after the pig when he came inside. But otherwise the dogs are fine going into the same yard. Right now we only have one yard for the dogs and pig.
Just a little bit ago I went out side with a small box. The pig was there at the glass door. I let Duke out first before I went out. Sexy (the pig) was getting nervous and making that grunting noise at the box and checking it out. My stupid dog went after him taking a mouthful of hair. Thank god sexy is fast! But I went after duke and chased him off cursing at him.
I REALLY hate it when dogs go after livestock specially when they are pets, It different when its cattle. But jeez!
Oh also if I leave Duke inside while I go outside and the pig is there. He freaks out barking like a ****** and jumping on the glass door! Could it be that he thinks sexy is a threat to me? Or he is jelous? But even then he just pushes his way to get my attention when im not giving it.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I will not shoot my dog, please dont breed discriminate against rotties, Ive known many who are good farm dogs. If I cant fix the problem or it gets worse I will consider re-homing him, but would rather not. I really want a happy co-existing house hold :(

Equus_girl 04-11-2010 09:53 PM

I feel your pain! We have a dog that is an Anatolian/Rottweiler cross. She is a really nice dog and isn't really agressive towards livestock - she just chases them. She chased our neighbors cows through fences and annoyed the cows when they were calving. We have to keep her tied up in the day now. She is just so stubborn and will not listen. Anyone want her??? Lol!

I really don't know what you could do with your dog. Maybe try a shock collar and shock her when she gets aggressive.

wild_spot 04-11-2010 10:09 PM

I'm sorry to say this, but once a dog has attacked livestock and tasted blood, they won't stop and you can't train them out of it. Your best bet would be rehoming away from livestock in that situation.

The people next to the farm my dad works on have a rottie cross and a jack russell cross - Lovely, affectionate dogs. But he let them roam, they found an injured sheep and killed it - They killed ten more sheep over a month or two before dad got the police to make him contain his dogs.

The only fix for a dog who attacks livestock is a bullet or a new home.

wild_spot 04-11-2010 10:11 PM

Equus, my Kelpie is the same, she just wants to chase, instincts of course. She is controllable if the sheep are in a mob, but if she gets one on its own she will chase it until it drops then just stand over it. Very frustrating, I have had to run her off sheep with my horse before.

travlingypsy 04-11-2010 10:40 PM

Equus If duke just chased him as in play and no biting I wouldnt care. Run that fat pig around! Get him in shape. I might try the shock collar id probably enjoy that to >:D

Wild spot he hasnt broken skin yet so no taste of blood. I think these are warning attacks or w/e because he is fine with the pig if im not there. But if I have anything to do with sexy, duke freaks out. Actually duke will stand there and allow the pig to root on him. Uhg take me out of the picture and its all fine between them, bring me in it and chaos breaks out.

wild_spot 04-11-2010 10:49 PM

In that case, it does sound like he is being possesive of you. I'm not much help there, have never had to deal with that!

travlingypsy 04-11-2010 10:59 PM

I wounder if I just tie him up and hang out with the pig until he calms down then bring duke back inside. Do that every day until he doesnt care anymore.
maybe that will help?

Equus_girl 04-11-2010 11:13 PM

Hmmmm... sounds like my dog (his name is Duke too!). He's very protective of me but has learned that he can't snap at the horses. Our other dog (the chaser) has animals through fences and chases whole herds of cattle but she hasn't been know to bite them. But our neighbors are certainly not impressed with what she's doing so therefore she is on the chain!

Thats a good idea - maybe that would work to tie your dog up while you are with the pig. He might get used to the idea.

travlingypsy 04-12-2010 12:12 AM

I can understand about the chasing and neighbors. Especially if you dont know them that well and a dog gets in with their livestalk. I once knew some people who shot their puppy for chasing cows. It wasnt even 6mos old yet, I was really upset cause I know it was my husky who taught it to chase cow. I no longer have the husky tho, he got stolen. I think its different when a dog is attacking cattle but when they just chase them at least try and find it another home and give it a chance.

churumbeque 04-12-2010 08:10 AM

My bet is one day things are going to go bad and it may not be with the pig. This is common for these dogs to just change and attack and kill. I have heard many stories about these kinds of dogs just turning on something and attacking with out warning but people always stick up for them and say it was the way they were brought up, my dog would never do that. I know others that just seemed to change and attack. Please seperate them for the pigs safety. Even if you can block off a corner temporarily. Think about the anxiety that poor pig has because of it's history of a previous attack. If I couldn't seperate them I would find the pig a new home.