The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   shedding ALL of her coat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shedding-all-her-coat-52456/)

cowgirl4jesus94 04-12-2010 08:05 PM

shedding ALL of her coat

I have an older mare and all of the horses are starting to shed. When I went out tonight to feed them I noticed she had a large patch of fur missing on her side and other spots on her body... I looked to see if she was losing patches of fur all over and her fur just comes out in chunks all over her neck, belly, back, butt and legs... what could this be??

I know you can lose large patches of fur due to rainrot... but she didnt have any previous signs of rainrot and her fur looks healthy other than its falling out in chunks.

Any suggestions?

themacpack 04-12-2010 08:11 PM

Do you mean it is coming out to the point that her skin is exposed?

My suggestion is get the vet out.
There are a lot of things that can cause hair loss. What do the areas look like (bumpy, crusty, scaly, scabby)? Are the hairless areas warmer to the touch than the areas around them? Is the skin broken or not? Have there been environmental changes - a new fly spray, shampoo, feed, detergent used on her blanket, new bedding......
Tons of questions that can help narrow down the possibilities..........but the quickest way to get an answer would be to have the vet out.

PaintHorseMares 04-12-2010 10:38 PM

It could be many things, but if the skin looks healthly (no scabs, etc), it could just be the way she is shedding this year. We had an unusually cold winter, and 3 weeks ago we had 2 weeks of 80-85 degrees. Many horses with thick winter coat horses started shedding in large patches (their hair was literally falling out and had bare skin). The bare patches are now starting to get fuzzy, they're almost done shedding, and they are starting to even out again.

cowgirl4jesus94 04-12-2010 11:45 PM

Yes, she is shedding to her skin. Her skin is healthy looking. Nothing has changed... Like paintedhorsemares, we also had a very cold winter and the past week has been in the upper 70's and 80's... so it could be the way she is shedding.