The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Pasturing on land that doesn't perc? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/pasturing-land-doesnt-perc-5252/)

Thoreau 01-12-2008 08:41 AM

Pasturing on land that doesn't perc?

So, there's a field across the street from me that is up for sale by our neighbor, he bought it when he was younger, and used it to hunt rabbit in, but now that he's old, and his children don't care for hunting, he wants to sell it.

The thing is, the land drains fine- it just doesn't perc (there's no water there)

My parents were thinking of buying it, brushing hogging it, and building me a ring and a small two stall barn on the land. (It's three acres) We'd have to get water shipped in though- or find land some where near to buy water rights too. We were also thinking of collecting rain water.

Anyone think this is advisable? Oh- you can build on it, since the man does have a small tool shed (like ten feet wide by 6 feet)

Vidaloco 01-12-2008 09:20 AM

I may be wrong (I usually am :wink: ) but I think the perc test is done just for drainage of a septic system. I would check to see if a well could be dug. Where the average water table is in the area etc. I don't think I would buy land I couldn't dig a well on if I had livestock. If it doesn't perc it just means you couldn't have stock pond but you may be able of have a well. It sounds like it would be a great area for what you are wanting since the cost will be less without the perc it cant be used for a building site.

Vidaloco 01-12-2008 09:24 AM

Sorry for double posting but wanted to add. A lot of people here that keep cattle in remote areas without water get those large sprayer/water tanks and haul water in on those. Just an option if you get the land and no well.

Thoreau 01-12-2008 09:29 AM

thanks.

My parents are gonna see what they can do about it, because it would be awesome having my horse (when I get one! haha!) right across the street.

Vidaloco 01-12-2008 04:20 PM

One thing at a time :wink: If they buy the land there will be no reason not to get a horse to keep the grass down :) Keep up the faith and be nice to your parents. Nothing works better at getting a horse than a little kissing up to the parents.