The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   CHA (Certified Horsemanship Association) certification... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/cha-certified-horsemanship-association-certification-52601/)

Wallaby 04-14-2010 02:37 AM

CHA (Certified Horsemanship Association) certification...

Has anyone gotten one?
My camp that I'm most likely going to be Head Wrangler (I had my interview today and it was almost a sure thing that I'll be there but I don't want to jump the gun and say I got it) at this summer wants me to get certified before camp. The camp is paying for it so it's basically a pretty excellent deal for me, but I'd like to prepare and practice before it's time to be certified so that maybe I can get a higher level of certification. :D

The website isn't very clear with exactly what happens and the stuff that it did say seemed too easy, like being able to w/t/c on the correct lead, catch and groom a horse etc, seemingly basic stuff...

So basically, what happens? How should I prepare?

My trainer/BO/friend, whatever, took it but she only was certified to Instructor's Assistant, therefore, she's kinda bitter about it. I'll probably ask her to help me out if/when I get the job and need to be certified (the certification thing is in June) but she might not be able to help me...

Thanks! :D

kevinshorses 04-14-2010 03:29 PM

Sounds like a very well run scam. They won't certify you very high the first time because you wouldn't pay to come back and take more tests otherwise. Tell your employers that for $149.99 They can send video of you to the Northern Utah School of Proffessional Horsemanship and I will certify you. I will even send you a membership card and a sticker (hats are extra).

Wallaby 04-14-2010 04:46 PM

hahaha Kevin, I love it! Do you think I could get Lacey registered in the Oregon Unicorn Look-A-Like Association while we're at it? Do you make t-shirts? :lol:
I agree with you about it looking like a very glitzy sham. But my camp seems to think that it's an "amazing" certification but none of them are horse people so they're getting caught up in all the "safety" type words and the nice pictures.
I figure though, if they're paying for it and it'll look good on my resume (to people who don't know any better, at least), why not?