The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bills of Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bills-sale-52676/)

thunderhooves 04-14-2010 07:36 PM

Bills of Sale

I didn't want to clog the Sale forum with this, so I thought I'd post it here.
So, what bill of sale do you use when selling/buying a horse? I use this one:
Seller(s): ______________ are to take $300.00 in payment for _______(horse name) (color, breed, registry)._____(horse) will be sold to Buyer(s):________________. (horse)_______ is sold AS IS. Seller has done his/her best to tell Buyer about the horse. Buyer becomes responsible for and agrees to pay any and all bills relating to the horse that are incurred after the date and times this agreement was signed(vet bills, farrier fees, training bills, ect.). Any problems with said horse happening after this bill is signed is not the seller’s responsibility. After signing this bill of sale, Seller transfers complete ownership of horse to Buyer.
Signed by buyer and seller below.

Buyer(s):______________________________ Date: _________________

Seller(s):______________________________ Date:___________________

For this part, I'll use Chance as an example.
"payment for Chance(bay, gelding, APHA) "

equiniphile 04-14-2010 07:41 PM

I would reccomend a soundness guarentee. If the owner was hiding a serious problem somehow and you found out the day after you bought the horse, it's your responsibility. :/ Idk, I'm going to have my mom's lawyer draw one up if I end up buying this reining gelding I'm looking at

thunderhooves 04-14-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 605152)
I would reccomend a soundness guarentee. If the owner was hiding a serious problem somehow and you found out the day after you bought the horse, it's your responsibility. :/ Idk, I'm going to have my mom's lawyer draw one up if I end up buying this reining gelding I'm looking at

that's a good idea. Any idea how you would wtire one of those?

Cinnys Whinny 04-14-2010 08:23 PM

I highly recommend anyone getting a bill of sale no matter how well you know the sellers. I bought a 1 yr old granddaughter of Two Eye Jack (yes I'm THAT old) years back from someone I had knows since I was a kid...he was a very sweet man. We did not have a bill of sale, because well....I don't know we just never wrote one out and trusted each other. He couldn't find the horses papers off hand so he was going to give them to me as he came across them. Again, full trust in each other.

Well....unfortunately this man had a daughter who was just a mess....drugs/alcohol etc. And...unfortunately the man died. The daughter came across the horses papers, which of course were still in his name. Being that she was awarded all of his property she then considered my horse which was now 5 years old and very well trained, to be HER property. She stole her from her stall and when I called the police she showed them the papers in her dads name and because I had no bill of sale they said I was out of luck. I stupidly tried to take her to court but again, I was out of luck with no paper proof that I had purchased the horse even though I had had it for 4 years.

The horse was sold for drug money and I never saw her again. I found the new owners through AQHA and explained what happend and offered them up 1K over what they bought her for, all I could afford at the time, but they refused to sell her.

Always get a Bill of Sale!

equiniphile 04-14-2010 08:45 PM

^ Ehh that's terrible! That definitely will make me always get one in the future

equiniphile 04-14-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderhooves (Post 605170)
that's a good idea. Any idea how you would wtire one of those?

Hmm. I'll let ya know when my mom asks her lawyer ;-)

RadHenry09 04-14-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 605188)
I highly recommend anyone getting a bill of sale no matter how well you know the sellers. I bought a 1 yr old granddaughter of Two Eye Jack (yes I'm THAT old) years back from someone I had knows since I was a kid...he was a very sweet man. We did not have a bill of sale, because well....I don't know we just never wrote one out and trusted each other. He couldn't find the horses papers off hand so he was going to give them to me as he came across them. Again, full trust in each other.

Well....unfortunately this man had a daughter who was just a mess....drugs/alcohol etc. And...unfortunately the man died. The daughter came across the horses papers, which of course were still in his name. Being that she was awarded all of his property she then considered my horse which was now 5 years old and very well trained, to be HER property. She stole her from her stall and when I called the police she showed them the papers in her dads name and because I had no bill of sale they said I was out of luck. I stupidly tried to take her to court but again, I was out of luck with no paper proof that I had purchased the horse even though I had had it for 4 years.

The horse was sold for drug money and I never saw her again. I found the new owners through AQHA and explained what happend and offered them up 1K over what they bought her for, all I could afford at the time, but they refused to sell her.

Always get a Bill of Sale!

WOW , that is crazy! It does get you thinking though. Yes indeed Always get a bill of sale, you dont know what people are capable of.

Alwaysbehind 04-15-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 605152)

I do not know too many sellers who are willing to give you a soundness guarantee when you are buying. It is a pretty serious risk as a seller.